Trading options - How to have an edge?

Discussion in 'Options' started by crayon851, Sep 11, 2014.

1. say a stock is trading at 100.
    and you sell the 85 put and buy the 84 put ( month or two out)
    the difference between the purchase and the sale of the contracts should be about 0.04-0.06
    while your risk is fixed to 1$ max.
    so you are insuring a stock against a 15% drop, however if its a catastrophe, your liability is maxed out to 1$ per share.

so 0.04/1 means you are booking a 4% premium per contract with a predefined risk of 100 ( or $1 per share)

#21     Sep 30, 2014
  2. convexx

convexx

Yeah, I get it, but we need to choose our words carefully. "Selling options" implies net-short contracts rather than "short premium."

#22     Sep 30, 2014
  3. #23     Sep 30, 2014

4. For the naked put sellers, isn't that because we were in a bull market for the last two years?

#24     Oct 5, 2014
  5. bah.. it will be the same for the rest of eternity. And that aside selling naked puts in just about everything is a totally risk free strategy (tongue in cheek).

#25     Oct 5, 2014
  6. risk free...haha. I used to think the market was an investment, now I just look at it as a way to gamble my money with better odds.

Earlier this year, I actually found a theoretically risk free investment in arbitrage with loan interest rates and savings/gic interest rates.

ING was offering 3% on their savings accounts, up to a maximum of $250,000 for one year. The lowest loan rate I've seen was 2.35%.

#26     Oct 5, 2014
  7. Good one crayon. that 3% is probably before tax :). But even otherwise too much hastle.

#27     Oct 5, 2014
  8. yeah no disagreement on this end.

#28     Oct 5, 2014
  9. trilogic

trilogic

Great points,

can you speak to option spreads, I find these fut's options are best way to "trade" or have opinion on direction assuming no "real" edge like information or order flow etc; on a desk

I know option traders get all wound up about Vol. trading, however I keep expiry and strikes fairly tight so as to eliminate that risk best I can or isolate it anyway best I can, not taking a volatility bet, I sell the options as a spread and have stops on fut's in case a run so I am just bit OTM

I have been trying various T/A stuff including ACD thread, however what I found best is I buy sell based on larger picture studying/reading on various news services in conjunction with taking a quick look at chart for some sort of best guess to a "trend" the option spread allows me to hang on to be right and certainly keep a stop that allows me to get out with reasonanle loss so I can trade again

For example if market reverses against me hard or quick, the options become wide and if you have conditional order in to sell it gets a bad fill, I will just buy the Fut's and wait to settle down, however there is whipsaw risk as always

#29     Oct 5, 2014
  10. What about having iron condors on both the TNA and TZA as a hedge against each other?

#30     Oct 18, 2014