Trading is like a drug

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Cmoss, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Outstanding post, Handle

Wishing you much success

#11     Oct 23, 2014
  2. I hate weekend's too! Especially when a position is hanging in limbo just before the market closes on a friday which seems to happen most weeks :mad:

#12     Oct 23, 2014
  3. chimera

chimera

that's B*S*

I don't discuss t
    I actually think that's pretty sad.

So you guys have no life out-side of trading?

Trading more like investing is a small part of my life...I have so many other interests. I love the weekends and time off the computer/business etc. You guys/girls not go hiking in the fall leaves? What a shame? Skiing? Fitness? ..so much more than "trading."

Some of you people really need to asses what's going on within your lives.

Good luck

#13     Oct 23, 2014
  4. Turveyd

Turveyd

Weekends are boring, dont get much time to trade or watch in the week, ironic really.

But drugs would work out cheaper and likely more fun never tried them so dunno.

It drops off, especially after a big loss or 3.

#14     Oct 23, 2014
  5. Chimera why would I want to go hiking in leaves?!! And your calling us sad! What a plank

#15     Oct 23, 2014
  6. I used to think week-ends were a bore, while I lived in NYC and that is not normal in a place like Manhattan. Even then I suspected that there was something wrong with my trading (prop at ETG). Of course as I found out many years later....
    I am bipolar II (or Cyclothymiatic ?) so I can sympathize with Handle. I was only diagnosed a couple of years ago but my life-long condition cost me a fortune in gambling loses and some black swan days of the past 25 years. I now realize that my desires to become a full time trader were mainly a pipe dreams of a manic depressive. Same with poker. Now I go to support groups and look after my 401K, at least with an comforting knowledge that I was not a fuck up, only the voices told me to re-raise that pot-limit Omaha hand with a full house that was less than the nut hand....

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
    #16     Oct 23, 2014
  7. RXIS

RXIS

It may wear off. I used to be like that. Now, I usually take my profits and be done with it. In fact, a bad day would mean I'm on the computer working the positions for a long time. I'm also fine with taking small daily profits. By doing so, I manage to take in larger rewards on the lucrative days.

#17     Oct 23, 2014
    TTTT likes this.
  8. Sergio77

Sergio77

You are right...:)

#18     Oct 23, 2014
  9. Maybe you don't need intervention but certainly some of the best traders I have seen have had a better life balance. You can become too close the markets and detached from reality relatively easy. Obviously, this not a good thing. I would suggest you force yourself to find a hobby or interest that totally consumes your thought process. It has to require all your attention and not allow you to think about trading. Not only will this be a better life style I believe it will make you a better trader as well.

#19     Oct 23, 2014
    TTTT likes this.
  10. TTTT

TTTT

What's wrong with being obsessed with the markets? Depending on what stage a trader is in, there can be lots of benefits to speeding up the learning process. I most certainly went though it 20 years ago. Posters who mention the benefits of balance are definitely right. Once you're past a certain stage, performance definitely increases with better balance. I more think of it like exercise. Beating up your body at the gym every chance you get might not be the optimal path to get the results that you want. Similarly obsessing at the screen every chance you get might not be the best way to get the trading results you want.

Hmm... if you're going tick by tick every moment the market is open and you want it to be open even longer, when are you going to have time to complete your trade journal, refine your trading plan, or spend all the money you're making?

#20     Oct 23, 2014