Trading Catechism

Discussion in 'Trading' started by nitro, Oct 19, 2015.

1. noddyboy

noddyboy

This is a great post. Do you trade for a living or work in an advanced field?

#151     Nov 20, 2015
  2. nitro

nitro

Thanks.

I teach. I program. I trade.

#152     Nov 22, 2015
  3. nitro

nitro

Lagrange Multipliers are used all the time in finance

#153     Nov 23, 2015
  4. nitro

nitro

#154     Nov 28, 2015
  5. nitro

nitro

More concepts. Don't worry that it all seems disconnected.

A time series that displays a tendency to revert to its historical mean value is critical to the type of trading recommended in this thread. Note that a time series could be {a set of} cointegrated instruments. In fact, very few trading instruments on their own are mean-reverting on the time frames that won't make us go broke. Mathematically, such a (continuous) time series is referred to as an Ornstein-Uhlenbeck process. This is in contrast to a random walk (Brownian motion)which has no "memory" of where it has been at each particular instance of time.

One thing you need to do before embarking on statistical mean reversion is to test for it. In particular, it is important to understand the concept of stationarity. In the next few posts we see how this is done.

#155     Nov 28, 2015
  6. nitro

nitro

Before we get to stationarity, this is a fun and instructive video

#156     Nov 29, 2015
  7. Gambit

Gambit

Brent vs Canadian and Russian indexes?
    Brent vs a basket of middle east equity indexes?
    You know what...looking at commodities and resource dependent economies opens up a lot of opportunities....
    Gold vs South African indexes?

#157     Nov 29, 2015
  8. Gambit

Gambit

Your statement kind of begs the question. Is there a consistent way to test which kind of process we're evaluating? How do you test whether a time series is brownian or Ornstein-Uhlenbeck?

#158     Nov 29, 2015
  9. Gambit

Gambit

#159     Nov 29, 2015
  10. eurusdzn

eurusdzn

Seems we try to do intuitiely , when math challenged , what should be done mathematically. Probably removes a lot of bias, opinion and irrational beliefs.
    The Kalman filter ...well what a great new concept to me. It would be nice to be able to model, measure, test, then correct multivariate inputs.
    I guess everyone is attempting cause and effect and then , correct and repeat. Some better than others. Young men take notice of this thread but of course that is just my opinion.

Ps, indeed Gambit, lots of opportunity if one makes those connections.

#160     Nov 29, 2015