Top 30 traders under 30

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by Don Bright, Aug 8, 2005.

1. cml2949

cml2949

What I gained from that article is that these are 30 up and coming traders.. They might not have the biggest profits, but they were voted among their peers to have future potential!!

#61     Oct 13, 2005
  2. megadon

megadon

seems like a good list..........but what are the real stats....how many up days vs down out of 251.....how consistant are they really ......how many positions at all times long and short.....how concentrated are they in any one industry or group......do they hold overnite positions....do they trade every day.....what exactly are their sharp ratios........what is their gross return on leveraged capital........any down weeks.... months....quarters......these are only some of the questions that really need to be answered when examining who is really the best.......m

#62     Jan 28, 2006
  3. megadon

megadon

a trader who is consistantly profitable.......focused ......and risk averse....slowly passes almost all the others ....its lifetime profitabilty that matters......m

#63     Jan 28, 2006
  4. This is a great thread and one that I would recommend ever young trader reads.

Realistic expectations in this business are half the battle and let's face it, where can you put up 5k and make 300k in a year.

If your a young trader (less then 3 years in the biz) and you are in the even (just in the Black) then you are already a success and in the top 80%, so congratulations.

I also agree with the fact that many truly successful traders will stay way under the radar for as long as they can it only makes sense, given the nature of the biz.

#64     Jan 28, 2006
  5. srolle

srolle

if making $350,00 before you are 30 is enough to be on a top 30 list, its going to have to exclude illinois and new york.

this is laughably inaccurate don

#65     Jan 28, 2006
  6. tireg

tireg

For me, this article was life changing. I stumbled across it last year when I was on a lunch break and reading about these young, successful people who were respected in their field really inspired me to persue my interest in trading. I realized that alot of people near my age (20) or slightly older were already well on their way to success and that I needed to get started ASAP if I want to get there while I am young.

Basically it spurred me to start an intensive self-study cirriculum that I am currently in the middle of, studying trading methodologies and styles, strategies, money management, risk management, technical and fundamental analysis, trading psychology, behavioral finance, game theory, and finishing off with getting certifications and licenses while coming up with a trading style that fits my personality while managing risk and optimizing capital allocation, and doing paper trading to test my results, as I don't have much real life capital to work with (yet).

I'd consider myself a somewhat-informed newcomer to the field, and I've talked to many people as I've sought out successful traders and fund managers, but for people in my position who want and need the experience trading, and even all the way down to the successful pro's who are getting great leverage, prop trading seems like one of the better ways to go when you are looking to start trading real money and are undercapitalized. How else would someone like me raise capital with no (real money) track record?

I'm sorry guys.. I don't know why some of you are flaming Don... especially months after the post has been made. He didn't write the article. And now while I don't trade for a living, however you cut it, $350k is still 350k. To me that is a pretty large amount of money. And if your best friend's sister's uncle made eleventy billion last year and sleeps in a ditch, good for him. How has he contributed to the community?

#66     Jan 28, 2006
    Jimmy Ray likes this.
  7. jjk2

jjk2

sry for bumping this old thread.

but yea like the guy above, wow this thread has opened my eyes.

i've doing trading and i've heard of stories about prop desks and guys churning out million dollar bonuses....wow.

and its funny the university the coowner of pairs trading is the one i am going to right now lol....and they are in langley cool !

#67     Nov 14, 2007
  8. make 350k also can be top trader??? then they should name the magazine after me

#68     Nov 15, 2007
  9. i wish i would have gotten into trading currency earlier. i'm a month from 30 but sure i could have been on this list had i started 4 years ago with trading instead of wasting time looking for an analyst job in toronto.

heck swift trade wouldn't even hire me (guess they dont like ppl who passed cfa exams).

#69     Nov 15, 2007
  10. haha - ya you'd be too smart and figure out the gig quick.

On the flip side consider trying to get into a Bahamas outfit with your CFA exam credential. I see alot of ads for those types of jobs on that island.

#70     Nov 15, 2007