Those wacky Atheists

Discussion in 'Politics' started by FortuneTeller, May 23, 2015.

1. A metonym? What is this word?

met·o·nym
    ˈmedəˌnim/
    noun
    1. a word, name, or expression used as a substitute for something else with which it is closely associated. For example, Washington is a metonym for the federal government of the US.

Oh crap, I learned something. ;)

#11     May 24, 2015
  2. As did I. Good point by stu.

As a point of interest, my understanding is that Einstein was a pantheist who used poetic licence when he referred to the laws of the universe as God. (As you might expect a physicist to do.) However, his mere utterance of the word "God" has some theists claiming Einstein as one of their own.

Last edited: May 24, 2015
    #12     May 24, 2015
  3. Because that's what somebody told you? Or because it was written in a book by a MAN?

#13     May 24, 2015
  4. Wallet

Wallet

Actually God, through 40 different men over the span of about 2000 years in 3 different languages, that fits together like a glove.

Timothy calls it "breathed" or inspired by God. The Bible is unique. Men over the centuries have tried and tried to discredit it, but they are all gone and the Bible is still here, changing lives and leading people.

Try reading it!

#14     May 24, 2015
  5. You really need to watch this:

Research, opposing views and entertainment.

#15     May 24, 2015
  6. Wallet

Wallet

Well if you want to research others views instead of doing your own due diligence concerning the Bible try this, Lawyer, Journalist and former Editor for the Chicago Tribune

Oh forgot to mention, former atheist.........

#16     May 24, 2015
  7. I want to be the first to say it.........Jesus was good. And coming from an atheist who expects no heaven in return, that means something.

#17     May 24, 2015
  8. stu

stu

FC, Isn't it just the particular christian spin on Jesus which makes the character sound good through referencing only specific selected bible versus such as -turn the other cheek and love your enemy- rather than ones like -I come not to bring peace but a sword or .....

"If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple."

...because quite frankly, that is not good by any stretch, but more like the Jesus character applying for membership of the Third Reich.

#18     May 24, 2015
  9. blakpacman

blakpacman

Agreed. The problems I faced a long time ago when I was in elementary and junior high school going to church was believing in the the supernatural, ghosts, usefulness of prayer, life after death, heaven/hell, having a soul, and in general being a naive person in the ways of the world.

Now, I believe in the laws of science. Simply having faith is a demonstration of ignorance because it means accepting something without questioning it.

#19     May 25, 2015
    Frederick Foresight likes this.
  10. I was not aware of that passage. (Or just about every other one, for that matter.)

Like FC, I was under the general impression that, if Christ existed, he was probably a decent guy who tried to be a positive influence. But I won't pretend to have studied his history, and I certainly didn't bother reading the bible, other than what I had to in elementary school religion class.

My understanding is that there are many inconsistencies in the bible due to conflicting stories by its writers, false attributions, and editing by the various powers that be at various points in time. I also read somewhere that Jesus supposedly never claimed to be a deity, and that such stature was bestowed upon him only well after his death. Coupled with my disbelief in all things magical, it's all slop to me.

Those who actually consume them should probably not look too closely at how the bible and sausages were made.

Last edited: May 25, 2015
    #20     May 25, 2015
    blakpacman likes this.