The TREND is your friend.. The biggest lie ever!

Discussion in 'Trading' started by MarketAddict, Oct 28, 2015.

1. barcadia

barcadia

x2

#51     Oct 30, 2015
    dartmus likes this.
  2. Redneck

Redneck

Next week I can guarantee "demand" will be present (in the form of institutional money)

Will it be bought..., or used for liquidity

:)

RN

#52     Oct 30, 2015
    slugar and dartmus like this.
  3. schizo

schizo

Did we have an uptrend in ES for the last 2 hours or did we not? I bet most of you missed it. :wtf:ops::rolleyes:

Now we're about to reverse course. Will it be a downtrend? You bet.

#53     Oct 30, 2015
    dartmus and barcadia like this.
  4. NoDoji

NoDoji

I especially enjoyed the "1-min" charts. You guys trading off that are amazing. :cool:

#54     Oct 31, 2015
    Redneck likes this.
  5. Having traded off both, I highly favor trading off a tick chart with the number of ticks based on the normal activity of the contract. But I do follow 1 minute charts. For example I use a 50 tick chart for the Nikkei225 Mini. The more active ES would need to be set at a larger number of ticks. When I traded off 1 minute charts I thought tick charts would be too detailed. But after closer examination and finding the appropriate number of ticks for each
    contract, I would never go back to 1 minute charts for trading.
    If you have never experimented using tick charts, please give it a try. You might find it interesting if it can fit into how you trade.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2015
    #55     Oct 31, 2015
  6. 1 min chart can be pretty noisy when price is chopping around. But sometimes it can show good details when price is not choppy.
    2 min chart is less noisy and looks ok for trading, but sometimes it is too big and details can only be seen in 1 min chart.

5 min chart is even bigger and hard to see details...I aint sure what is the advantage of 5 vs 2 and 1 min charts.

#56     Oct 31, 2015
    murray t turtle likes this.
  7. Redneck

Redneck

It all the same..., exact..., PA

The advantage - which fits your eye / personality..., AND - does not turn you into a spastic monkey

===================

There is a thinking that a LTF somehow reduces risk - provides quicker insight

Just not true

It a microscopic view into a larger bar / larger TF (time sample) - iow..., it shows the PA comprising that larger bar / time sample - whatever one chooses that larger bar / time sample to be

1M crack is extremely addictive..., and all the rage

In the wrong hands (the right hands are very few and far between btw)..., leads to over trading (impatience / inability to follow one's approach / methodology..., trade plan)..., loss of bigger picture (confusion / surprise by the fact price heading into a big ole S or R)..., inability to remain neutral (causes internal bias as opposed to focusing on price's bias)..., and several other adverse behaviors (adverse to successful trading that is)

Do I use it - yes..., as a microscope

I trade the 5M

Best that "trader" not always construed as an active verb

jmo
    RN

#57     Oct 31, 2015
    zbestoch and steven21 like this.
  8. NoDoji

NoDoji

What he said!

Everyone I've worked with (including myself) who was drilling down to 1-min or similar tick-based bar intervals, was focusing on finding a way to use the smallest stop loss and feel a sense of comfort and even certainty on individual trades.

At its best, this mindset can lead to an eternal quest for a Holy Grail of loss-free trading. At its worst, this mindset can ruin you by leading to "over trading (impatience / inability to follow one's approach / methodology..., trade plan)..., loss of bigger picture (confusion / surprise by the fact price heading into a big ole S or R)..., inability to remain neutral (causes internal bias as opposed to focusing on price's bias)..., and several other adverse behaviors (adverse to successful trading that is)".

Who among you using bar intervals of 1-min, similar or less is a consistently profitable day trader?

I personally lost/lose money when I forget to focus on the 5-min (or similar) picture and I wonder if anyone here trading a 1-min or less bar interval is consistently profitable in real time (not in static hindsight analysis).

#58     Oct 31, 2015
    steven21 likes this.
  9. PABuster

PABuster

Agree with RN & ND.

One can use 1 min to scalp especially if they have a read from a 5 mins chart or so. Its needs lot of focus & drains your energy super fast. More importantly such small timeframes you are very prone to lot of chops as well as lot of fakes that you need to withstand. Since trades trigger so often, chances of many stops quickly is high if discipline is not in control in using such timeframes. It can be done but it is super hard work. Its lot easier and less work / stress doing the same using bigger timeframes. One big use of 1 min is vol exhaustion alert to indicate that this area is of interest.

#59     Oct 31, 2015
    zbestoch and Redneck like this.
  10. Butterball

Butterball

Why do people take trading strategies like trend following which show a historically proven relevance over time periods of 6-18 months (read: long-term trading) in intra-day trading? And then they whine "Oh but it doesn't work".

It's like taking a Ferrari and going offroad with it, then complain what a piece of junk it is.

#60     Oct 31, 2015
    limcheese22 and eganon69 like this.