The home audio thread

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by convexx, Sep 11, 2014.

1. convexx

convexx

Carver is mid-if at best. Nakamichi is ugh.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
    #51     Sep 15, 2014
  2. It was the sheeeeet in the 1980's. There was very little superior. You probably sit at home and in between diaper changes, you call your option trading friend to get things to post, then you read the Robb Report and Stereophile--- next Guns&Ammo--- when the babies nap.

Has Bigfoot been throwing rocks at your expensive cabin recently, mountain man?

http://www.buzzfeed.com/katieheaney/see-the-hot-new-bigfoot-sighting-filmed-at-lake-tahoe#4f4q9bq

:cool::p

#52     Sep 15, 2014
  3. LEAPup

LEAPup

Light switch... Lol!!!!

#53     Sep 15, 2014
  4. LEAPup

LEAPup

Speaking of log homes, I'd love to have one:

https://m.youtube.com/results?q=custom log homes

#54     Sep 15, 2014
  5. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

I used to be into this stuff. I bought a pair of B&W speakers and a rotel amp and processor. Recently switched to a Marantz because I wanted HDMI. I still have the B&W's and the amp.

In my basement I upgraded to a Marantz receiver and have NHT's (with built in subs). There are mono amps for the subs. There's a DLP projector and in wall surrounds which I don't know the brand of. I didn't design the basement HT. It came with the house (the result of a bitter divorce).

I'm recently getting Control4 (a poormans Crestron) installed throughout the house and Sonos speakers everywhere. The Sonos are pretty good.

With technology leaning towards lossy compression formats, I think the need for very high end equipment is diminished and I have found that a $1000 pre-amp is as good as a $3000 pre-amp.

And wires... wires are the biggest scam in the planet.

#55     Sep 15, 2014
  6. convexx

convexx

The Carver mag-field stuff was TRIAC (shitty). Class G in the output rails. Garbage. Sorry, but it's the consumer version of audiophile in the same way that the consumer believes Rolex is the best watch on the planet.

#56     Sep 15, 2014

7. When I had my pre divorce home wired, the guy was pushing this cabling that was outrageously expensive. I couldn't hear the difference so I went with the cheap wire and was very happy. The thing that was worth the money was having a guy tweak the in wall and in ceiling speakers with some kind of listening device. That really made a huge difference.

#57     Sep 15, 2014

8. I agree with you about Rolex being the used car salesman's watch --- but once again, in the 1980's it was hard or impossible to get gear better than what bob carver was building.

Like Polk--- back in the 80's it was top notch--- now it's mass produced garbage.

#58     Sep 15, 2014
  9. convexx

convexx

Lol better than Carver? Any decent audio shop considered Carver the entry-level. wtf are you talking out of your ass?

#59     Sep 15, 2014
  10. LEAPup

LEAPup

Traded a Submariner plus $ for a Breitling Chronomat recently. I agree on the Rolex being something of a "dead horse." Breitling ok? And one I'd LOVE to wear is Audemars Piguet Royal Oak series. Damn! Can't fit the bill for that one, however:(
    You like Panerai? Have a 111 on stainless bracelet (H-E-A-V-Y!) I bought several yrs ago, and like well. No date though...

#60     Sep 15, 2014
    convexx likes this.