The home audio thread

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by convexx, Sep 11, 2014.

1. LEAPup

LEAPup

I like the Bose you posted! One thing I may do is say screw it and use the $100 beats buds in the gym, and the Sennheiser IE80's with tips for everything else. We're gonna have to ask Baron to add a Convexx section to ET!

#21     Sep 12, 2014
  2. bose is what you buy when you're clueless and have too much inheritance money to spend

[​IMG]

#22     Sep 12, 2014
  3. convexx

convexx

Yeah, the Sennheiser are all you will ever need for mobile use outside of the gym.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
    #23     Sep 12, 2014
  4. LEAPup

LEAPup

Am looking forward to it! Appreciate the help!

#24     Sep 12, 2014
  5. "Hint: To hear the PS1000 at is finest, try powering it with a top-flight tube-powered headphone amp (e.g., Woo’s Audio WA5-LE)"

See Absolute Sound review (Senn is included too)

#25     Sep 14, 2014
  6. #26     Sep 14, 2014

7. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D Welcome to ET! :):)

excerpts: specific to my headphones GradoPS1000 ...... link at bottom. AfterLOS notes = standalone is excellent but for sheer HEAVEN this is like a Porsche turbo so must be partnered with a tube headphone amp Woo Audio 5LE Headphone for sheer delight in the highs and even tighter bass. See next post for why AfterLOS is super finicky on bass reproduction

voluminous bass
    the sheer volume and power of the low-end surprised us
    not unlike placing your hand over the bass port of a subwoofer :)
    AfterLos keypoint ... (volume of air moved by woofer is directly proportional to low-end output)
    bass extends very deep, full spectrum 5-50k Hz
    huge presence = AfterLOS key component = soundstage gotta be realistic and CLEAR
    the level of detail across the board is stunning
    never sound tiring, can be worn for hours

here's the keynote of the review = AfterLOS found this to be true too when selection was narrowed down to the Sennheiser and Grado ....
    some may still prefer a set with lighter bass such as the Sennheiser HD800

http://www.trustedreviews.com/grado-ps1000_Headphones_review_sound-quality-and-value_Page-2

[​IMG]

#27     Sep 14, 2014
  8. convexx

convexx

Woo are fine. I used to be a tube guy, but then I came to my senses. There is zero bass in Grado. There are tons of better headphones. Also, wtf are you discussing gear you don't own? I know you don't own either as Grado and bass are mutually exclusive.

Voluminous bass. lol

Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
    #28     Sep 14, 2014
  9. Bass performance: if missing then even a nice soundstage won't matter as the system gets an instant disqualification from AfterLOS

Preserving the integrity of the upper bass is the hardest part for a system that delivers solid output down to the lower echelon of the range, crossover and slope all play a factor in this.

Since there are weightlifters and muscular cats in this thread the comparison that makes it easier to understand the concepts of agile, nimble, lightning-speed, super responsive, not clunky BASS is presented below

Sloppy, slow, clunky, ding-dong bass = weight lifters = look at Baron = arms at 30 degrees

agile, nimble, lightning-swift, reverse-on-a-dime, super-tight bass = martial arts sportsmen

The latter can deliver 6 kicks quicker than the former can even get into motion with a punch. Any one of the kicks can take out the knee or neck or head in a snap.

That be the difference and super importance of nimble, tight BASS

AfterLOS knows what he be yapping about = 3 hour brutal workout 2 times per week :D:D:D

Nimble, agile tight bass versus sloppy, clunky weightlifter type bass

#29     Sep 14, 2014
  10. Sloppy, slow, clumsy, nincompoop, asinine, hovine, bovine big muscle BASS versus nimble, agile, lightning-quick BASS

Round 8

#30     Sep 14, 2014