The home audio thread

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by convexx, Sep 11, 2014.

1. convexx

convexx

I have the SE535 in clear. Awesome for vocals due to the fat mids, but not good for trance and EDM unless you tweak the EQ. Excellent phones for rock.

Haha, the EON is a PA? I've always wanted to try that... put a pair of PA speakers in my garage.

#11     Sep 12, 2014
  2. LEAPup

LEAPup

Outstanding! I'm CONSTANTLY adjusting the beats buds due to the tips that come with them. I owe you one again! Didn't know these were available. And you've convinced me. I didn't know of these until now: http://www.elitetrader.com/et/index.php?threads/the-home-audio-thread.286456/#post-4023321
    Can imagine these with those tips would be a knockout.

#12     Sep 12, 2014
  3. LEAPup

LEAPup

Klipsch! Damn, that brings back memories. My Dad passed unexpectedly last year, and every time I hear of Klipsch, I remember being a kid laying on the carpet in front of those bad asses; my Dad would turn up Vivaldi, Bach, Tchaikovsky, and other classical he loved. Brings back so many memories bro...
    Hope I don't get made fun of for this, but I'm finding myself listening to what he used to, in addition to the 70's, 80's, and early 90's rock I love.

#13     Sep 12, 2014
    Baron likes this.
  4. Baron

Baron ET Founder

Yeah, but if you think about it, it's exactly what you want in a gym/garage setup:
    • All-in-one solution. Amp built in. EQ built in.
    • Handles moisture and temperature.
    • Rugged and easy to move around if needed.
    • Fairly cheap considering what you would spend for equivalent home audio equipment.
    The only thing I should add is that with PA gear, you don't need to think of things in pairs like you do with home audio because stereo imaging isn't necessary since you are moving around. These are extremely loud speakers anyway and all you need is one. If you want more bass, you can add a JBL EON 518S but you'll be knocking shit off shelves all over the place with that thing. I have two of them that I use for outdoor parties, but for inside they are just too much, not to mention they are enormous.

#14     Sep 12, 2014
  5. convexx

convexx

My home setup in the AV room is a pair of Krell 375 monos. A older Krell pre and fed by a Mac Mini server and RME DAC. I am looking for a new DAC to add to the rack. I have a JL Gotham sub as well (selling it if anyone is interested -- mint condition). Krell Modulari Duos as I got a great used deal when I bought the monoblocks.

#15     Sep 12, 2014
  6. convexx

convexx

Yeah, I suppose stereo imaging isn't critical in the garage.

#16     Sep 12, 2014
  7. convexx

convexx

I have a pair of Neumann KH-120 studio monitors on my desk. Honestly, there are no better actives for an office or bedroom (at 2-3x the price). I have owned and/or demo'd Barefoots and these things are incredible for $1500/pr. The Mac Pro I use for trading is also the music server. Another RME Babyface feeds the KH-120s, the Sennheiser HD26Pros and Ultrasone Sig DJ.

#17     Sep 12, 2014
  8. convexx

convexx

Yeah, Leap. Get the Sennheiser IE80 from Amazon. Make sure you're buying direct from Amazon. Also get a 3-pack of large Tx-500 tips. Each tip lasts for months. I still would not want to soak them in sweat. The EarPods at $28 are disposable if you wreck 'em. You may have to turn up the volume to close to max on a smartphone.

I have had a lot of Cowon MP3 players. The SQ is fantastic. Go with one of these if you download or rip CDs:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/COWON-M2-32GB-Black-/151402606212?pt=Other_MP3_Players&hash=item23404c6e84

If you're an itunes or Spotify user, then disregard.

#18     Sep 12, 2014
  9. LEAPup

LEAPup

Again, owe you one. I literally have stacks and stacks of cd's. have been wanting something to rip with. Sad thing, is my Son knows this stuff, but doesn't want Dad coming into 2014 with technology. Guess I'm supposed to be walking around with a man purse, Walkman, and bag phone.. Lol! As far as the gym, you think I should refrain from using the new tips? I sweat like a swine flu case when training.

#19     Sep 12, 2014
  10. convexx

convexx

Well, you will eventually damage any IEM/earbud with sweat. The Tx-500 has a screen built-into the tip for earwax. The IE80s also have a screen over the driver itself. So the IE80s are immune to earwax but not to sweat. I do wear them in the gym on occasion, but mostly workout at home with a speaker setup. I wouldn't consider the IE80 disposable at $300+

The cheaper Bose will survive the gym: http://www.bose.com/controller?url=.../index.jsp&perfsourceid=K7377062&src=K7377062

The Yurbuds are decent in SQ: http://www.amazon.com/Yurbuds-Ironman-Inspire-In-Ear-Headphones/dp/B006TGQ9ZE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1410548898&sr=8-1&keywords=yurbuds inspire

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
    #20     Sep 12, 2014