The Break Even Stop is a Psychological Crutch for Newbies

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Buy1Sell2, Feb 21, 2015.

Do you use break even stops?

1. Yes

50.0%
  2. No

50.0%
  1. cornix

cornix

Thanks for answering. That's a very interesting precedent in light of endless TA validity discussions.

#81     Mar 9, 2015
  2. B1S2,

Are you an intraday trader? What method do you use (retracement, momentum)?

#82     Mar 12, 2015
  3. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

Position trader. Trend follower.

#83     Mar 13, 2015
  4. No offense, but you keep spewing that SL's should be placed outside the noise, but that's not how intraday momentum trading works. When you have a catalyst moving an instrument, yesterdays noise doesn't mean squat, and today's noise is isn't even readable at the open. The open is where some of the most aggressive traders (including me) seek profits. I do move my SL's to break even after the instrument has traveled 1/2 way to my target. Based on my testing and research, this is the most profitable. Allowing more breathing space erodes my profits. An instrument in a state of motion tends to remain in motion. I'm not sure you have a true grasp of market mechanics

#84     Mar 13, 2015
    i960 likes this.
  5. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

Thank you for you posting! Yesterday's noise is very important to today's trading however. Once the open has passed, then trading opportunities present themselves and a reference to today's noise can be added in as well. Trading at the open is not a great time to trade. It's better to watch the market a bit and then trade. A lot of folks think that trading at the open is great, but a lot of money is lost by newbies who end up chasing--much like right after the jobs report etc. --Congrats on your success on the openings.

#85     Mar 13, 2015
  6. What world are you living in? Buying/Selling the opening price is what newbies do. Getting a read on the open and trading it is what many professionals do. The volume and volatility is ideal for momentum trading. I do agree that most people are scared to execute during this time. This is what separates the men from the boys :)

#86     Mar 13, 2015
  7. deaddog

deaddog

Isn't that the objective of trading? Taking money from other traders.

#87     Mar 13, 2015
  8. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

You could look at it that way. My point is simply that most people should not be trading the open. I hope that better states it.

#88     Mar 13, 2015
  9. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

But wouldn't that breakeven stop need to be outside the noise? --Not just once there is a level of profit?

#89     Mar 15, 2015
  10. Sergio77

Sergio77

Break even stops protect equity from sudden reversals and are useful but they should be placed when it is safe to do so after making sufficient gains. In the markets we have with many robot algos they are a must.

#90     Mar 16, 2015