TD Ameritrade/TOS closing down in Asia. Any ideas why?

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by scenic58, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Ha, Ha, Ha, how little you know.

Want to trade onion futures?

Well you can't because onion futures are illegal.

The Onion Futures Act making onion futures illegal was passed on August 28, 1958 and is still the law.

#21     Apr 30, 2016
    d08 and DallasCowboysFan like this.

2. Well, I meant trading in general, in other words Nebraska can't prohibit futures and options trading.....

But I learned something new about onions today...:)

Kosuga was pretty sneaky. He reminds me of Jesse Livermore.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vincent_Kosuga

#22     Apr 30, 2016
  3. d08

d08

Also, CFDs are banned for American residents. There are many bans and restrictions on all kinds of financial instruments all over the world.

#23     Apr 30, 2016
  4. Sig

Sig

A state generally can't regulate something involving interstate commerce that is already federally regulated. You won't find any examples of a state banning interstate tulip trading if federal law allows it, for example.

#24     May 1, 2016
  5. #25     May 2, 2016
  6. Sig

Sig

I don't think "ban" is the word you're looking for. The link you provided indicates that TOS doesn't accept forex customers from Ohio and Arizona, not that forex trading is in any way banned in those states. Most probably there is a compliance or registration requirement in those states that they don't find it economical to comply with given the amount of profit they get from forex in those states, so it makes business sense for them to just not accept forex customers from those states.

#26     May 2, 2016