Tallow anyone?? GrainCorp Limited...Australian grain company

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by Cabin111, Dec 5, 2022.

1. Cabin111

Cabin111

I was going though the list of products of this company (GNC.AX). In the final sentence is said they were involved with tallow!! This is the 7th largest grain company in the world. Yeah, I know they have offices and port space in Ukraine. I bought the stock anyways.

I bought 600 shares in my Roth IRA...$7.88. No options available...And over $100. for the Schwab fee to execute the trade. They have a fair dividend. Into most grains and value added products. I wanted something outside of the US. This is almost like owning gold or silver coins...Hope to never use them or have to sell them. I look at this trade as insurance compared to profit. Just me...

https://www.graincorp.com.au/

zdreg likes this.
  2. maxinger

maxinger

My goodness!!

What a dead / deadly company;
    it has been hovering around 7.2 to 10.5 for many months.
    It will continue to hover for many more months.

analogy: don't make love with an expressionless person.

3. upload_2022-12-5_12-27-27.png

relatively strong not bad call

4. Sekiyo

Sekiyo

ASX:GNC/ASX:XJO isn’t relatively strong

EC075029-A932-4D9F-96F1-8B4A5861A501.png

wastelands likes this.
  5. Sekiyo

Sekiyo

Insurance …
    Do you expect a 10 to 1 payoff at least ?

A stock should not be treated as insurance.
    Same as bitcoin isn’t an hedge against inflation.

It’s a risky asset that doesn’t compare to insurance at all.

6. Cabin111

Cabin111

I am thinking in terms of hyperinflation. Just wondering what the people in Venezuela or Egypt do for inflation??

First thing I was looking for was a stable country....With a company that trades internationally. A company that has market share...A mature company. Also a company that has a product that is needed, rather than wanted.

I could try to corner the toilet paper market...But I thought this buy might be easier.

Just me...

Last edited: Dec 5, 2022
    Sekiyo likes this.
  7. Instead of watching cartoons in the late 1970s, I watched Howard Ruff and read James Dines later on with my gramps. We’ve been waiting for this along time. Gramps is no longer with us, left his silver behind.

“He who earns wages, earns wages to put into a bag with holes” Haggai 1:6

zdreg likes this.
  8. themickey

themickey

Rain delays during WA's potential record grain harvest may mean no Christmas break for growers
    ABC Great Southern / By Sophie Johnson
    Posted 21 minutes ago
    [​IMG]
    WA farmers are left standing around waiting for the moisture to dry before they can harvest.(ABC Great Southern: Sophie Johnson)

Farmers across Western Australia's growing regions say bad weather and other logistical challenges could delay what is looking like another record-breaking harvest.

Key points:
    • Late season rainfall has put farmers behind their harvest schedule
    • The harvest in southern WA typically starts in early November
    • Growers say it is likely they will still be harvesting into the New Year

The harvest usually starts in early November in southern WA, with the aim to finish around Christmas, but this year has been different.

Headers across southern WA have spent extended periods parked up over the past few weeks, with moisture levels in the crop and soil too high to continue harvesting.

Analysts have tipped that this season's harvest could break last year's tonnage of 24 million, but that might be at risk due to persistent rainfall and haulage and labour challenges....... continues......

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-12-11/rain-delays-wa-grain-harvest-which-may-break-record/101753738

Cabin111 likes this.
  9. Cabin111

Cabin111

Just a update...I doubled down on GNC:AU (that is how it reads at Fidelity to buy it).

I bought about $5,000. more of this company. You can't just look at their dividends...They do special dividends many times.

I'm pretty much writing off their Ukraine holdings for now.

I have a large lot in CA I hope to be selling in a week (1/3 of an acre...15 day escrow).

I'm wondering where can I find value in case of super inflation...Still a fear in the back of my head.

The charges from Fidelity were $32. for the trade (no broker assist) and 1% for fees to switch from US dollar to AZ dollar...About $87. something total for the fees.

I plan to hold this company for a loooong time...

10. I bought AGRO and BG some time back. They are chugging along.

#10     Aug 1, 2023