Taleb fund and how it profited

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by cdcaveman, Aug 29, 2015.

1. I don't understand why people bash Taleb so much... He is a writer and a former floor trader.. He says alot of interesting stuff.. Dynamic Hedging is a great book. With that being said you can be both long and short volatility.. Yes your net position is going to be either short or long.. I think the more interesting trades to me are long higher degrees of convexity and short lower degrees of convexity.. Taleb talks about convexity effects alot.. I never was sure if his fund was like a vxx type etf of hedge funds with more convexity on vol spikes and less draw on low vol environment.. idk

#11     Aug 30, 2015
  2. Pekelo

Pekelo

#12     Aug 30, 2015
  3. alot of haters out there... haha....

#13     Aug 30, 2015

4. I know you and I have discussed this many times...but for those who think you have to trade vol with one bias, I will offer a typical setup from my bag.

Using a futures curve u can run long vol combo in the front end as that is where u get the black swan payment...and then in middle curve, back curve u can short vol to help pay, offset the bleeding. Admittedly to make a living and prosper this way is not easy but I do it and I know a few others who do....

maybe Taleb does something similar.

#14     Aug 30, 2015
    nvroy, londonkid, i960 and 3 others like this.
  5. Visaria

Visaria

sellindexvol66, how did u fare last week?

#15     Aug 30, 2015
  6. Well, good question. ..I have been selling vol in back curve since Monday and always too early..so there's a bit of DD as the bias may lean short vol now...holding front long vol .

#16     Aug 30, 2015
    Visaria and FCXoptions like this.
  7. What's most incredible is ET can still find a reason to trash them.

Any way you cut it, it's very difficult to make $1B in the timeframe they did. Given their initial risk allocation, it's not easy to come up with a strategy that has enough convexity to make 20% in a couple days without subsequently losing 20%pa. They are doing something right.

#17     Aug 30, 2015
    cdcaveman likes this.
  8. Yes, Taleb or guys running stuff like him could be long vol and short vol across curve or maturities with bleed or payouts set according to their goals.

My layout could be very different, that's why he maybe scored and I'm waiting for a bit of steepening in mid curve.

#18     Aug 30, 2015
  9. Maverick74

Maverick74

#19     Aug 30, 2015
  10. Butterball

Butterball

Difficult? They bet $6bln on long vol/tail setups. Seeing +10 to 20% days happens once or twice every market cycle (5-7 years) years. It's not 'difficult' at all.

#20     Aug 30, 2015