T/A Fails Time and Time Again - Why?

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by MarkBrown, Nov 22, 2015.

Time based data

1. Yes time is a factor in my trading plan.

71.4%
  2. No time is not a factor in my trading plan.

28.6%
  1. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

I see several discretionary traders questioning someone that's using an automated or program/coded trading system.

You guys plan on going automation ?

#71     Nov 27, 2015
  2. MarkBrown

MarkBrown

Too bad the only one asking questions is a troll on this thread which is dead cause the troll is on ignore.

#72     Nov 27, 2015
  3. Great trading or traders are definitely much more discretionary, rather than some silly automated program.

I know it sounds cliche, and I've said it many times before...but the market is part art, part science... it varies on that spectrum daily. -- and it's the trader's job to know when. o_O
    [​IMG]

#73     Nov 27, 2015
    Money Trust likes this.
  4. eurusdzn

eurusdzn

Mr. Brown

My use of Renko charts is to eliminate/ filter/ low pass noise.
    Selection of the range bar is a direct function of my determination of the amplitude of noise
    to eliminate.
    I am left with significant price swings of clear direction( in hindsight anyways).
    As useful as this is with EOD data and multi day/week positions, time, the sequence of the
    range bars is of primary importance. Patterns are time ordereed aremt they?
    I am not seeimg the elimination of time here so i guess I am missing the point.
    Any clarification would be helpful. thanks.

#74     Nov 27, 2015
  5. zbestoch

zbestoch

Well, your hunch is as far off as it could be. You put some words into my mouth over at @Eddiemorra's thread and when I called you on it you disappeared for a while.

I agree he does, but he seems self-deluded and unaware of how he is behaving at times. So I guess one can't really hold him accountable. Sort of like a man with night terrors who kills his wife in his sleep - he just has no control over his actions.

There would appear to be some very short-sighted decisions being made as to what is and is not desirable ET content by the ownership. What they decide is beneficial is often times contrary to what I, as a consumer of the site's information, would like to see. I gather from what others have said and the fact that many solid, valuable, interesting posters from the past have either quit ET or in some cases been outright banned by the ownership that this has been going on for quite a while before I found this place.

#75     Nov 27, 2015
  6. k p

k p

QUOTE="zbestoch, post: 4213484, member: 488389"]You put some words into my mouth over at @Eddiemorra's thread and when I called you on it you disappeared for a while.[/QUOTE]
    I probably disappeared because it was just back and forth without any substantiation. ET is full of useless theories made by people who just call others trolls when they are asked to show something more. The TA crowd cannot even really show real trades with all sorts of excuses, so its no wonder why the anti TA crowd always comes around.

In conclusion... these posts are all a waste of time since its all just fluff but no meat.

Do you really believe @Baron wouldn't allow a link to a picture from an outside source? Perhaps he can comment himself if he blocked Mark Brown from linking to his charts.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
    #76     Nov 27, 2015
  7. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

This is like a half truth.

The truth is that its the TA crowd and the anti TA crowd don't provide whatever it is that you seek. Simply, everybody is doing it. Seriously, the last time I saw you before this thread was when you were questioning one of the big anti-TA person about his lack of real trades, his lack of info about his trade method and so on. In fact, if was a very accurate statement that you made to him about their own lack of contribution.

In addition, a different anti-TA person...how many times have I seen you guys rag on surf before I put him on ignore. You guys wanting him to explain details about his price drivers program/code...he still hasn't...right ? Has he shared it with you or explain enough info that you would think its "useful", do you see any broker statements, he does post real time trades and so does the TA crowd (e.g. ES Journal, CL Redux).

Just as important, I can name about 10 active anti-TA members that have not shown anything or explained anything about their trading and I've seen you yourself debate with a few of them about such when they was attacking the TA folks. Just the same, I can name about 10 active TA members that fail to provide any useful trading info while trying to teach their method or explain their method even though they are doing such in an effort to defend TA based upon the complaints I've seen thrown at them by other TA users...

Everybody does it.

Yet, I have seen more TA users make an effort to explain what they do with some details in comparison to the anti-TA folks even though some of the explanations fall short or those explaining their methods here obviously never been trained as a teacher. Thus, I see more of the TA users put themselves out there in comparison to those that consistently bash on the TA users.

Anyways, I think that's why many call you a troll because you keep hammering at people again and again with these half truths along with twisting facts.

Now you're here hammering at someone that's using automation or some kind'uv program/code while you're a discretionary trader. Thus, I truly can not see what it is you're trying to learn unless you have a sincere interest of switching to automation trading or using a program/code system.

Something else I've learned about this forum. If you keep hammering at someone, most likely they will not share anything especially if they've seen you do such to others or they may just decided to only share generalities while not caring if you have the ability to figure out the details on your own.

Seriously, I'm a discretionary trader and I have no intentions of becoming an automation trader. Thus, you will not see me questioning or hammering an automation trader for any kind of detail or info about what they are doing unless I was a troll or I had some interest in quantifiable/scientific trading approach.

Note: Discretionary trading via TA and quantifiable/scientific trading via TA are different. Most of the stupid debates about TA at this forum is by folks that's not able to recognize the difference...they then request one to provide evidence of the other. :D

Last of all, our personalities, interests and experience levels determines what's useless or useful trading information. Simply, a useless trading theory to you may contain useful information for someone else and vice versa. Seriously, when I first begin trading...I remember reading a book that was basically useless but the guy that recommended it to me as a good read...he found the book to very helpful.

I just chalked to difference between him and me due to us having different trading experience levels and him needing something I didn't need that he thought may contain useful info for me.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
    #77     Nov 28, 2015
  8. NoDoji

NoDoji

#78     Nov 28, 2015
    Cswim63 likes this.

9. Pretty much this above and also mainly because price is a function of events which happen unexpectedly (be it scandal in the company, earnings surprise etc.) and not function of past price action.

#79     Nov 28, 2015
    NoVoodooHere and Cswim63 like this.
  10. MarkBrown

MarkBrown

All very good points and glad to see there are a few sane people on ET. Thank you for your post.

Gambling phase: 1 year

My introduction to trading was like gambling. Quite literally setting around restaurants and bars watching the ticker on a TV with a group of guys and we bet on the market calling our broker who allowed us to trade without any money in our accounts just as long as we can that evening and paid our losses.

More to it phase: 1 year

I watched my friends win and lose with reckless abandon looking at Ferrari's one day and trying to sell the Volkswagen the next day. I knew that if I was going to make it trading I had to make a break and actually develop some super human analytical skills. I read everything I could get my hands on about trading.

Hide among them phase: 10 years

One thing was for sure if I was going to be successful, I wanted to be around successful traders. I taught myself to program and pawned myself off as a programmer, data feed, networking tech guru. I become pretty handy around the largest firms in the business and I found out who was making the money and got my foot in the door with one of the largest traders in the world. He was a fundamental trader who determined to find the mechanical system holy grail and spared no expense to find it.

Independence phase: 5 years

Adhering to a strictly mechanical trading commitment, I set out to become a professional trader and did so pretty well until greed by a managing partner destroyed the firm. At the time the firm was named as the most profitable upstart in the classification of funds under 10mm under management. Devastated I published an article in Active Trader and immediately found new trading partners and worked from the CME building more profitable than ever trading 500 plus lots of emini sp's at member clearing rates. It was a good time and made the money I would live on for years to come. We decided to open an IB and differences broke all that up and what I discovered is that I didn't need anymore partners.

Continuing education phase: 13 years

Turning my efforts towards consulting development of a trading platform which would allow research not possible on commercial software I got involved with this platform which never was a commercial success due to lack of customer support abilities. I dug in and poured myself into research, not caring about making anymore money than I needed just to have free time to do nothing but research. I really wanted to perfect market movement and discovered this simple truth. Math does not have to be adapted to the data, rather data should be adapted to the math. The whole argument of technical vs discretionary is idiotic because we are all system traders if you're not a gambler that is. Every trader has a system if you don't you're a gambler get it?

What I know:

I can trade as simple or sophisticated both fundamental, technical and or techno-fundamental as I wish.

I gained this ability by hard work, keeping an open mind, seeking out the best people in the industry and thoroughly understanding their methods. I then developed my own methods and discovered my own small edges where I can do massive blocks.

This didn't come overnight, there is no right or wrong way there is only your ability to be successful or not. You have to take responsibility for your own success or failure. No one else can do it for you, but you can get ideas that will help you get there faster if you don't dismiss and ridicule everything that comes across your path.

MB

#80     Nov 28, 2015