switching gears to Price Action via SLA

Discussion in 'Journals' started by gears, Feb 16, 2014.

1. boru

boru

Db had mentioned "blending bars" once, it stuck in my head, not saying you should do it if you're working on something else but its something to be aware of. equal highs on a 5 min would probably be a DT on a 1 min. and vice versa remember price is a tick it should flow . feel free to ignore if I'm butting in. good trading

#321     Mar 3, 2015
  2. gears

gears

Not really a talent of mine to do the blending on the fly. I still see the individual pieces. Not butting in at all. Thanks for your comments!

#322     Mar 4, 2015
  3. gears

gears

Still using the 5min timeframe to watch price. I do find myself to be quite a bit calmer and more patient switching things up like this. In the past, I was a lot antsier and while the 1min was quite a bit faster and seemed captivating, I think I added to my stress level in watching price at that level. I feel like I'm taking a bit of a breather by viewing the 5min.

opened, did some minor up and down toggling and then just shot down south through the ON low.
    headed further south - toward the PDL, but after about 2 minutes, more of a RET started to happen. And then things settled down again for further down movement getting closer and closer to the PDL. Then more RET was occurring. Spent more time towards 37/38 than 35 and lower. And then more down. This patience thing is so key… And then even more of a push - down to 29 (previous day low).
    opened and immediately went up to recover some ground. After a strong push down, it’s not all that surprising. Let’s see if this is a pause to regroup or if this is the beginning of a REV. And then price moved down more and made an even LL. There had been a bit of a RET initially - interesting. And before the 5 minutes was up, another push down occurred all the way to 23.
    price started to retrace some of the most recent steps - heading back to 29 - but it wasn’t with intensity. Seems more like a holding pattern. But a HL does print. Ever so minor, but it’s there…
    opened and went down - regaining what had been lost during 0945. Definitive LL compared to 0940 and 0945. Price had retreated a bit, but hadn’t surpassed 4431.25 (high of 0940). Though price fell, it didn’t seem that traders were comfortable there. Price kept inching back up toward 4427.
    opens and heads down, but does an about-face. Does not meet the low of 0950, but exceeds the high of it and is driving toward the high of 0945.
    opens and hits the high of 0945 and then drops down. But price doesn’t make a LL than any of the past 4 bars (20 minutes) and it starts heading up - HL in action. Heading up to the PDL area with some purpose even though the volume isn’t significant. Ends the bar in down mode - and takes out the low established earlier almost meeting the low of 0955. Was that the HL - 2nd test of the level?
    price opens and pauses and then it shoots up toward where the activity has been - 4229 and beyond. Some progress up is made, then quite a push, but nothing definitive - within the shadow of 1000.
    opens and heads down, but still can’t get beyond 22. Rebounding up to the 29 level again. Price is definitely in a weird range. Can’t get above 32 or below 22. And as I type that, it falls below 22 and all the way down to 19. But as it gets there, it almost bounces off and is very soon again at 24. Bigger pop of volume and longer term SL drawn.
    price just kind of hangs out in the shadow of 1010 - not a HH or a LL - not much intensity of movement either
    starts out trying to go higher and then begins falling. Traders are just quite comfortable in the 25-28 range.
    price hangs out much like it did during the previous 5 minutes. A little higher and a little lower, but nothing major - or is that the deal. It made a HH and a LL - poised for change?
    definitely heads up with some pausing, but up seems to be the current name of the game. Trying to reach the PDL. Definitive HH compared to the previous 20 minutes.
    starts out continuing the up movement and gets to the PDL area, but then price starts to slide. Highest price in an hour.

20150304 5min.png

I'm sure that my large group of readers (Ha!) are wondering why I'm a) still in observation and b) now looking at a higher timeframe. The reason is that I think it will benefit me. And this journal is all about me, so I'm taking the steps I think are necessary to improve.

#323     Mar 4, 2015
    fortydraws likes this.
  4. gears

gears

This morning has been interesting. I had my good moments and "duh" moments. Initially I was displeased that even though I'd had some areas marked on my chart, I didn't realize price had been hanging out in a range for a while so the initial back and forth movement took me by surprise - not good. However, after identifying a hinge and seeing the initial up move out of it, I was definitely prepared for price to reenter the hinge area and likely drop - and it did so - substantially.

opened, went down, popped up to the PDH and headed down again. Price been in the area of and exceeded the PDH from 0810-0830 as well as another shot up at 0905. This was the third “time” price had been in that area, but only the first after the NY bell rang.
    opened and hung out a little inside the mid-lower portion of price from the 0930 bar. Then price shot up, hit 4454 and came down. A pause at the bottom before going lower, but then lots of retracing.
    oh - price is behaving this way because it’s in a range. I’ve got to see this stuff earlier.
    price makes a LL than the past 15 minutes and then shoots up to make a HH than even the high of 0825. Guess price is breaking out of the range. The bar certainly has the look of an “intent” bar as Db is known to say.
    opens and continues higher. Some retracing, but general movement is up - at least initially. As the final minute of the bar printed, price meandered back down to the PDH level. Will it hold as support as it has acted as resistance?
    opened and headed up. Then seemed to pause a bit and spent more time toward the PDH area. As the bar was ending, definitely seemed like down was the name of the game.
    opened and back into the range and heading toward the 50% area, but couldn’t quite get there. PDH area again seeming like a magnet. Toward the end of the 5min, traders moved price up again.
    price immediately headed up - toward the high of 0950. The high was met, but buyers weren’t pushing price up - until they did quite definitively.
    price started out in the shadow of 1005 - not heading higher or lower. Then price inched up, made a HH and then fell to the low area of the bar - and started going lower. But it quickly changed directions again and headed back up.
    opened and went lower - hit the DL and kept going down - back toward the PDH level again.
    made a LL, but just barely. Traders not moving price much - sort of pausing.
    opened with a LL, but then quickly turned around and headed back up - higher than 1020 and with more vigor. Seems as if the PDH is acting as a barrier for now.
    opened and went a little higher, but quickly fell back down. Made a LH than previously.
    price stayed mostly in the 1030 area, but did make a slightly LL.
    price went lower than 1035, but did a lot of pausing initially toward the high side of 1035. Price is just inching down, but hasn’t gotten as low as it did from 1015-1025.
    price opened and held for a bit. Then it headed up. Still not a HH or LL so we’ve got a hinge. Price poked outside it. Will it continue?
    opened and headed up. Just barely made a HH compared to 1010 and then headed down again. Seems as if that hinge thing is happening - first direction isn’t the end game direction… we’ll see how this turns out.
    opened and went back into the hinge area, but quickly turned down and started marching toward what else but the PDH area.
    price definitively headed back for the PDH area. Some bouncing around, but down is the direction. Stopped at the 50% area from the earlier range. Funny how that happens…
    opened and just hung out for a bit - little bit of RET, but then it fell through the 50% area and took off like a bolt of lightning through the swing area of 52. Slight pause again and then all the way down to 47. Closed more toward the bottom, but not at the bottom of the bar.
    continued the downward movement after an initial pause in the 48 range. Then price took off down again - cascading through 44. Next stop 38? Definite RET toward the end of that 5min, but that very well could be regrouping after the dramatic fall.
    4444 seems to be acting as a barrier now. I had it marked as the last swing from the overnight and looking left, it’s been a popular price in the last two days. Price hung out there initially, but then headed back up meeting the high of 1110.
    price poked through and mad a HH, but just barely and then started heading down again. Real pause at 4447 - I thought my internet connection had disconnected.
    price is slowly inching up - back toward the lower end of this morning’s range. Highs are higher and lows higher.
    price still slowly heading up. The range of price movement per 5min is slowing down. Still shy of the 50% area from the high of the hinge. Wow - price moved 11 points up from the MP of the range and just shy of 12 points down. AMT at work!
    price is moving up - no doubt. The 50% area was reached, but will it hold? DL broken as the bar closed on it.
    price meets the high of 1135, but can’t get higher. Higher low.
    pace/range of price movement has definitely slowed down. Again traders aren’t moving the bid/ask - hung out at 4353.50 for quite a while. Price popped up for a HH as the 5 minutes was coming to a close.

20150305 5min.png
    Overall I'm seeing so much more of price and the movement. I just feel late when I make some observations. That's why the 1min bar was appealing to me, but the frenzy of that timeframe doesn't work for me as my primary view of price. I like it around S/R areas, but in general I'm liking the 5min.

#324     Mar 5, 2015
    fortydraws and boru like this.
  5. my god, where does all this come from? tick by tick commentary?

#325     Mar 5, 2015
  6. gears

gears

You're welcome to not read and certainly not to comment.

#326     Mar 5, 2015
  7. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

You might benefit from the new Appendix F that I wrote for the revised SLA/AMT. Give it a look.

#327     Mar 5, 2015
  8. i mean no disrespect, just amqzed at sheer volume
    i barely write a sentence or 2 :)

carry on

#328     Mar 5, 2015
  9. gears

gears

I may have jumped on you prematurely. I've just seen you come at some other folks recently and wanted to nip it in the bud.

I'm working through some stuff and this is my process.

#329     Mar 5, 2015
    fortydraws and dbphoenix like this.
  10. gears

gears

Already downloaded and perused. But I will read it with more intent this evening.

#330     Mar 5, 2015