Sterling API Developer Thread

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by mnx, Apr 25, 2008.

1. I have a question about structSTIQuoteUpdate. I'm writing code off market hours, so I guess I can just test tomorrow, but:

Are those bool variants at the end telling me what type of update it is, or can multiple bool variants be set?

So say the market had an ask size of 10,000. Someone trades 1,000 against the offer.

If bLastPrice is set and bAskPrice is set, and the last trade happened on the same exchange on which the AskPrice is, and the ask size is now 8000, what happened? Did the cancel of 1000 happen followed by a trade of 1000, or did a trade of 1000 happen followed by a cancel of 1000? Or will the structure only show one variant set per exchange?

It's not clear to me from the docs, because it says the ask price will be set to 0 if it's a "bid or last", but then the docs don't say whether bid or last can be updated simultaneously.

I mean I get that the same net effect of a cancel and a trade happened, but I guess I'm wondering if both can update at the same time, and whether proper sequencing is possible.

#261     Jun 8, 2012
  2. I'm registering for the quote events, but I'm only seeing the events being reported to me at fixed intervals instead of every change.

How do I get every little incremental change to the level-1 quotes for each individual exchange within Sterling?

#262     Jun 8, 2012
  3. The solution for this was to go to Sterling's main app, go into Quotes, and unclick "combined activeX" codes.

#263     Jun 8, 2012
  4. Really ? Since when was XML an efficient data transfer mechanism ?
    It's always been bloated IMHO.
    I'd like a detailed technical explanation for this....I smell something here.

#264     Jun 8, 2012
  5. Total BS and archaic..... C is one of the fastest languages. I have no clue why they started with VB in the first place. Sterling is riddled with issues. Its an opportune time for a competitor to take market share.

#265     Jun 10, 2012
  6. No question about it. Multicharts is ready to roll-out their dot-net version. Even their base product looks good....as it's multithreaded.
    Problem is: they are not in the prop space. Prop firms only provide Laser, Blackwood, Realtick and Sterling platforms. Each have issues with their API. None have a robust, integrated programmable platform like Multicharts or Tradestation.

#266     Jun 11, 2012
  7. Green Mountain Analytics has a platform that is very competitive with Sterling for prop traders. Their API is socket based, uses text strings for messaging (but not FIX unfortunately), and does not go through the trading platform itself. I've been on it for 5 months after having been on Sterling for 6 years. It's still got some room for improvement but blows the Sterling API away.

#267     Jun 11, 2012
  8. Totally agreed that it's only a matter of time before Sterling is out of business. Their API is just a big fat joke. Using COM for API communication, LOL, COM was never designed for speed. It's obsolete and slow as hell. Socket based API, not going through the platform but directly to the server, is of course the future and I'm happy to see other platform developers do see that and are finally jumping in. Hopefully Sterling gets soon what they deserve: chapter 11.

#268     Jun 14, 2012
  9. Reload

Reload

Hi, could you please tell me what's "Sterling's main app", do you means"Sterling Pro"? I try this on Sterling Pro and can't find Quotes->combined activeX?

#269     Jun 18, 2012
  10. guest2

guest2

^

#270     Aug 18, 2012