Some ways to define a Trend.

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by dartmus, Nov 17, 2014.

1. speres

speres

Trend is order flow and so a reverse in trend is a reverse in order flow, a series of hh's or ll's.. the chart is just a snapshot but might help with your definition

gold trend discription.jpg

#21     Nov 19, 2014
  2. Scaleout.Scalper

Scaleout.Scalper Guest

It is easy to analyze good price action after the fact, it already happened, has very little chance of going nowhere, cause we already know it was a trend.

Newbies say wow, we old timers know the fairy tale already.

#22     Nov 19, 2014
  3. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

The point of analyzing "good" price action after the fact is so that one can recognize it if and when it occurs again in the future. Otherwise, there's no purpose in chart study (though some propose that there is in fact no purpose in chart study).

#23     Nov 19, 2014
  4. Johno1

Johno1

No one can know if the next tick will be a continuation of the previously observed trend or the first tick of the reversal, all we can do is observe what has happened in the recent past get on board and hope like hell that it continues, this takes a lot of fortitude/stoicism.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, so all you can do is trade the present.

Cheers John

#24     Nov 23, 2014
  5. If the long term trend is up it shows that for a long time good things have been happening for the underlying, with this in mind unless something fundamental has changed you can place trades in this direction. You will always get retracements against you, sometimes immediately but if you scale in you can buy more at a better price instead of just getting out and watching the trend continue

#25     Nov 23, 2014
    Johno1 likes this.
  6. Johno1

Johno1

This is basically my preferred approach referenced by my previous post, it works well, low risk high reward.
    Cheers John

#26     Nov 23, 2014
  7. Yes thanks johno, the problem is if you make one entry you will hardly ever get the best price, if the trend completely reverses on all time frames up to the 4h or daily just hedge the trade or close part of the position ONLY if trend and sentiment has completely changed for the worse and take your loss :(

At the end of the day, what else are you going to do?? Trade the range?!

#27     Nov 23, 2014
  8. Johno1

Johno1

Yes, we are basically on the same page although I don't trade off charts per se.
    Cheers John

#28     Nov 23, 2014
  9. Are you a fundamental trader?

#29     Nov 23, 2014
  10. Johno1

Johno1

I've been at this for half a lifetime, passed through the charting stage in the late 80s- 90s, these days it's instinctive, coupled with excellent risk management skills, keeps me on the crest of the wave.
    Cheers John

#30     Nov 23, 2014
    wwatson1 likes this.