Should I change my broker so I can get Kenetick?

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by shots fired, May 11, 2015.

1. It is my understanding that Kenetick is just DTN IQ designed specifically for Ninja Trader.
    I currently use Ninja Trader. I use the free version, and my broker is AMP Futures. My data feed is CQG. Last week, CQG switched over to a new protocol at CME. You may be able to tell by my writing or description that I have a very thin grasp on all of this. Well, anyway, being a tick chart trader, the new protocol that CQG adopted really messed me up. I learned that DTN IQ plans to resist switching over to the new protocol until it is necessary (September 2015, I think). It is my understanding that AMP Futures does not have Kinetick. So if I want to use Kinetick with my Ninja Trader, and keep using AMP Futures as my broker, I will have to purchase a subscription to Kinetick. I have read on the forum tonight that IB uses Ninja Trader and Kinetick. So perhaps I should switch brokers, and go with IB? Can someone tell me what the cost associated with switching to IB would be (if I wanted to use Ninja Trader and Kinetick)? Currently, there is no cost for me at AMP Futures. My data feed is included, and I am using the free version of Ninja Trader. Wow what a confusing question. I hope it makes sense. Thanks.

2. i960

i960

Start using volume charts.

3. traderob

traderob

IB uses Ninja Trader and Kinetick

You have it reversed. IB traders can, if they purchase NT and subscribe to kinetick, use the ninjatrader trader platform with IB feed combined with kinetick (or Iqfeed)

shots fired likes this.
  4. AMP_Futures

AMP_Futures ET Sponsor

AMP Futures Customers do have access to Kinetick as their additional data source.

You will use your existing AMP Live Trading Credentials to create your Live Trading Connection and create your 2nd Kinetick connection for the additional data. Then connect to both of them at the same time.

If you need any assistance, please email trading@ampfutures.com

shots fired likes this.
  5. Jarym

Jarym

That's a fairly unhelpful remark for those who are adjusted to trading tick charts. Volume bars have their pros and cons just like every other chart type so suggesting people switch to something else doesn't really help.

In any case, I'm facing the same issue (and an unrelated one that's specific to AMP - more about that in another thread) with tick charts and it is affecting our strategy testing just as we're about to launch make it live. The CME have made the change with a decent enough reasoning and the only option here is to adapt. It may not be a bad thing, many providers already perform tick-aggregation on their data-feeds so you've been unlikely to be getting a purely unfiltered stream anyway. Kinetick may be able to resist it but I suspect only until October and then you'll be back to where you are now.

shots fired likes this.
  6. AMP_Futures

AMP_Futures ET Sponsor

This is the notice we sent out to our customers:

CME Globex Legacy Market Data to MDP 3.0 Market Data Conversion

Here is the link to full details: http://www.cmegroup.com/confluence/...Market+Data+to+MDP+3.0+Market+Data+Conversion

Per CME, All Data Feeds will need to make this conversion by October 2015 – All FIX/FAST Channels will be decommissioned.

Example: Here is how the change results in a different presentation of the ticks –

If we had trades like this for ESM5…

211175 vol 5

211175 vol 2

211175 vol 1

211175 vol 12

(total, 20 @)

Now we get a trade summary like this

211175 vol 20

Same volume, less detail.

This will affect your Tick Charts – please be aware and adjust your trading strategies accordingly.

There is a risk of loss in trading futures, forex and options. Futures, forex and options trading are not appropriate for all investors.

shots fired and Jarym like this.
  7. Jarym

Jarym

That note was really helpful and allowed us to avoid a significant problem so thank you! I don't know of any other brokerage that brought this to customers' attention so fast.

8. Not the same. There are subtle differences that I do not like, and I don't want to have to relearn everything (in terms of subtle clues, etc).

Jarym likes this.
  9. Thank you for your answer. I appreciate it. I will explore this route. It doesn't sound too complicated to achieve.

bunkinc likes this.
  10. i960

i960

Sure I understand that, but MDP 3.0 is going to make your life hard. Additionally, why use a less relevant metric like a "tick?" A tick could mean anything, volume wise - although it usually means onesey, twosey stuff. Volume means volume which has arguably much more value than a tick. I understand that this requires you to change your perception of things, but it might also be the time to start thinking about it. Realistically, I also cannot see how we're talking a world of difference as it is.

#10     May 11, 2015
    shots fired likes this.