Scotland Votes - GBP - big move Thursday!

Discussion in 'Forex' started by JTrades, Sep 14, 2014.

1. JTrades

JTrades

Bill Clinton says:

"With so much turmoil and division across the globe, I hope the Scots will inspire the world with a high turnout and a powerful message of both identity and inclusion.

"I understand and sympathise with those who want independence. Scotland is blessed with impressive human and natural resources and a strong desire for more widely shared prosperity and social solidarity.

"However, I hope the Scots people will vote to remain in the UK for several reasons:

"1. The proposal to keep the pound as its currency without the support that UK membership provides carries substantial risks, as we saw in the EU after the financial crisis.

"2. Separation will require a long complex negotiating process with considerable uncertainty and potential to weaken the Scottish economy.

"3. The increased autonomy promised Scotland by the UK provides most of the benefits of independence and avoids the downside risks.

"4. Unity with maximum self-determination sends a powerful message to a world torn by identity conflicts that it is possible to respect our differences while living and working together. This is the great challenge of our time. The Scots can show us how to meet it."​

#31     Sep 17, 2014
  2. JTrades

JTrades

Less bullish on EUR/GBP if yes. My thinking (ignorance) on the effect on the Euro was probably wrong. A yes vote is potentially negative for Euro, what with the uncertainty caused.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
    #32     Sep 18, 2014
  3. JTrades

JTrades

Latest YouGov poll predicts 54% no, 46% yes.

#33     Sep 18, 2014
  4. JTrades

JTrades

Final result in around 0600 London time.

Local results will flow in earlier, throughout the night which could move the GBP.

#34     Sep 18, 2014
  5. JTrades

JTrades

I'm scaling into a GBPUSD long. Will reverse and go large if things go the Yes way.

#35     Sep 18, 2014
  6. JTrades

JTrades

Having never traded an option now's not the time to start (account permissions not enabled). But a straddle might have been the way to go on this one?

#36     Sep 18, 2014
  7. JTrades

JTrades

Far from conclusive, but information coming in leaning towards no.

Early reports suggest Glasgow may have voted 54% "Yes" to 46% "No". However, "Yes" campaigners look a bit disappointed as they hoped the result would be more in their favour.

#37     Sep 18, 2014
  8. JTrades

JTrades

Planning to add at 1.641 (if it can get there)

#38     Sep 18, 2014
  9. JTrades

JTrades

Clackmannanshire count
    01:23

Clackmannanshire result due in five minutes. Magic number for the winning side will be 17,705.

Better Together [no] campaigners in Alloa looking relaxed.

#39     Sep 18, 2014
  10. JTrades

JTrades

I do realize this thread is getting practically no views. Middle of the night in Europe. Late evening US east coast.

#40     Sep 18, 2014