RM's occasional market calls...

Discussion in 'Journals' started by Rearden Metal, Nov 8, 2010.

1. DGAZ at $19.70 as nat gas drops even further. Double down right here.

#921     Dec 7, 2015
  2. famous last words?

#922     Dec 7, 2015
  3. I don't think so. RM is one of only a handful of traders on this board who have been able to produce high quality real time trade calls, this journal being living proof of this.

#923     Dec 7, 2015
  4. Is the main reason for shorting it vs buying a 3x long fund instead just the decay you mentioned?

#924     Dec 7, 2015
  5. Autodidact

Autodidact

No offense and I havent studied Natural Gas but....

Regardless of past performance, things like 15% heat, new multi-year lows knife catching, double down, are not high quality elements, that kind of crap leads to high blood pressure or worse.

In any case, best wishes to the parties involved, this started like a train wreck.

#925     Dec 8, 2015
  6. luisHK

luisHK

I actually followed this call on monday morning (hence with a better entry than when RM called it , but still in red).
    First call I follow from this thread, hopefully it will work fine.
    Not convinced shorting DGAZ is better than going long NG futures though, and wondering if I shouldn't go that way to add to the position, which is still of a conservative size.
    Maintenance margin with IB portfolio margin to short DGAZ is around 105% compared to around 12% to go long the futures, borrow fee is around 4% (offsetted partially by the 1.65% ETF management fee, which works in favour of the short ETF position)
    I'm interested in more discussion on the merit of shorting the ETF rather than going long the futures

#926     Dec 9, 2015
  7. Why go long natural gas in December? Natural gas usually bottoms in March after winter is over, not at the start of winter. Also market is in contango so long nat gas positions lose money even if spot prices stay the same.

What do I know, everyone loves catching falling knives these days.

#927     Dec 10, 2015
  8. Was wearing a t-shirt at my beach house outside of NYC all weekend. Temperature was in the mid 60's. Insane for December.

DGAZ +12% pre market. Roughly 33% pain.
    I'm sensing a triple down coming shortly (as RM originally stated).

#928     Dec 14, 2015
    Zr1Trader likes this.
  9. JB3

JB3

Confluence of El NiƱo, oil glut, Texas oil tax, and Arctic winds staying up in Canada...is driving NG prices lower.

#929     Dec 14, 2015
  10. Banjo

Banjo