Question: how to deal with trolls? Can't anybody do something about them?

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by baro-san, Jun 11, 2015.

1. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

No reason to assume the worst. I don't know of anyone offhand who objects to reasoned and rational disagreement (at least up here). The problem is those whose sole purpose is to disrupt and hijack the thread.

If it doesn't work, it's simple enough to backtrack it. It's at least worth a try. After all, if wrb is now motivated to initiate threads again, that's a giant plus right there.

#51     Jun 12, 2015
    kut2k2 likes this.
  2. kut2k2

kut2k2

Thanks for starting this thread. Progress has been made as a result. :)

#52     Jun 12, 2015
    fortydraws and baro-san like this.
  3. Baron

Baron ET Founder

I think the member base is intelligent enough to know that the primary use for the feature will be for blocking irritating trolls.

#53     Jun 12, 2015
    fortydraws, baro-san and kut2k2 like this.
  4. JTrades

JTrades

Sort of agreed. There are at least a few thin skin types who will overuse the proposed feature.

On the one hand, thick skin or/and a high level of tolerance should not be a prerequisite for participating in a trading forum. On the other, constructively critical or humorous replies should not be overly stifled.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
    #54     Jun 12, 2015
    i960 likes this.
  5. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

Agree, though "constructively critical" may need a bit of definition. For example, claiming that indicators are worthless doesn't mean much unless one knows how the indicators are created and, preferably, why. Insisting that a system or method is useless doesn't go far if one has no idea what the protocols for the system or method are.

#55     Jun 12, 2015
    baro-san likes this.
  6. JTrades

JTrades

What about, for example the SCT / Fractal threads - isn't it reasonable for someone to express their scepticism without backing up their claim with a mathematical proof?

With the new block feature, such sceptical replies could be blocked at the will of the OP. Why should the OP possess such power?

#56     Jun 12, 2015
  7. JTrades

JTrades

Or take the ES Journal thread. Whose thread is it really? Should the OP have special controls?

After a thread like this gains momentum it becomes the community's as a whole.

#57     Jun 12, 2015
  8. Good thinking!

That's why a "Dislike" button (preferably together with a brief note - just like providing any reason for deleting a post) is important!

Blocking a poster for posting should still allow the poster for placing a Dislike! I think.

Another 2 cents!

#58     Jun 12, 2015
  9. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

Now we're going back into ancient history :)

The problem with Jack stemmed largely from the claims he made, particularly the claim that he made three times the daily range. And given that he invented his own language, not unlike Tolkien and the Middle Earth languages, the situation was ripe for what turned out to be a never-ending attack.

As for the current thread, I see that as more a tribute to Jack than anything else, and even though I have my opinions about it, it really has nothing to do with me, and out of respect for the dead, I leave it alone. Anyone who is interested in what I do knows where to find me. And if no one is interested, that's okay by me.

#59     Jun 12, 2015
    kut2k2 likes this.
  10. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

If such a thread is deemed necessary and desirable, it can be opened by a moderator. Or by the owner.

#60     Jun 12, 2015
    baro-san likes this.