quantshare vs amibroker

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by Gueco, Jul 3, 2013.

1. That's a very good point. I wanted to comment along those lines too, but you did it sooner.

I am an Amibroker fan, don't know anything about the other software, so will not comment on it.

#21     Sep 20, 2013
  2. If software is calling home then they can keep it. Who knows what they're sending home (next?), your systems?

AB has served me well after ditching Tradestation 2000i many years ago. Even the beta versions are stable - have never had an issue unlike Interactive Brokers' TWS. IB's programmers seem to be out of control since they appear to have a need to "improve" their software every month while often breaking something in the process.

#22     Sep 21, 2013
  3. Sergio77

Sergio77

Can anyone explain how to do multi-system backtesting in amibroker for same symbol? I can't figure that out.

#23     Sep 21, 2013
  4. One option is to open up multiple (new-) analysis tabs (see the "+" button right of a tab) and each one backtesting a different strategy if that is what you are after.

In the picture below the strategies are not saved as project. If you save each one as project file (all individual settings of a specific analysis are saved) then the tab names will show the name of the project instead of Analysis 1, Analysis 2, ....

http://imageshack.us/a/img199/3274/4mft.png

#24     Sep 21, 2013
  5. Sergio77

Sergio77

Thanks but this is equivalent to running multiple software instances. It will not combine the results like multicharts and tradestation do. I want to use amibroker because I find its charting attractive but I want to be able to load several independent systems on a chart and see the combined performance. Can I do that? I was never able to figure out how this can be done in amibroker. Either it cannot or it is very complicated. But I want to be clear that I like that software.

#25     Sep 22, 2013
  6. taowave

taowave

I have Amibroker and Quantshare.

From a non programmers perspective,I find the QSanguage and AFL to be about the same.The biggest difference for me is QuantShare appeals to the discretionary trader who employs fundamentals and can access various fundamental data sources with historical data.

I may be 100 percent wrong,but it appears that QS is developed by a trader/programmer while Amibroker is a programmers fine piece of work.

Unfortuantely,I can not comment on the more advanced tools in QS as they are beyond my scope,i.e Neural networks.genetic optimisations etc..

At the end of the day,I give QS the nod over Ami,but that is due to my orientation as a derivative/discretionary trader who employs systems as a tool

#26     Sep 23, 2013
  7. Sergio77

Sergio77

Good info, thanks. Useful to me as I am increasing my discretionary exposure to the markets.

#27     Sep 24, 2013
  8. You can, AFAIK. Can't comment about complexity as it is relative. For some people this is more complex than that and vice versa.

#28     Sep 24, 2013
  9. Sorry, but in AB you can employ fundamentals too and also can access data from various fundamental data sources (macro economic data or company's fundamental data).

Yes, you are 100 percent wrong. The AB developer made his software for his own trading multiple years ago and made it public because of being asked by friends. But I don't even fully understand what your sentence is about. I have not seen anything in QS that can not be done in AB. The last time I tested QS (version 2.9 I think) it had real-time data access only in its beta version for example. And as mentioned the biggest problem I had with QS was its instability (continuous error reporting). Don't know about current state.

#29     Sep 24, 2013
  10. taowave

taowave

You have backtested strategies and systems with historical fundamental data in Amibroker,or can you screen latest quarterly/annual data??

You haven't looked very closely at QS

I have no dog in his fight as I have both products,but it is a silly statement that you haven't seen anything that QS can do that Ami cant.

So Amibroker is all things to all people??

It an excellent product with a different orientation than QS

#30     Sep 24, 2013