Professional Trader Status - question with personal accounts

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by LiquidMike, Feb 29, 2024.

1. I trade options and have done very well with them and I have several friends wanting me to manage their capital for them; so I may start a small hedge fund.

I'm looking at Bermuda or Caymans (any opinions? or does it matter?)

The real question is that I have accounts with 4 different brokers currently. I asked one of them if I started a fund, how would that affect my trading status They said that it would link to my personal account and my personal account would then change to professional trader status which then means I also will incur monthly data charges.

With the other brokerages that I have accounts with find out about this and then force me to change status and then charge me monthly data fees?

thanks!

Quanto likes this.
  2. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

Before I try and provide a more complete response, are all the investors USA tax payers? Is it your plan to continue to raise money or only manage these investments? Would you prefer to call me later to discuss this in more detail?

mindesb and murray t turtle like this.
  3. Quanto

Quanto

@LiquidMike, IMO best is by registering a small company, an LLC or so, and doing it via this company of yours.
    By this, you can create many different roles (professional, non-professional etc.) inside the company, incl. for yourself... :) as well do it as the company/firm itself...

I myself am interested in doing similar soon (in a year or so), ie. creating a small hedge fund company; this all is on my TODO list :)

But I think one will need a certification (FINRA Series 65 or what's called), but that's no problem as there is enough prep material available on the web to buy for training... and then take the Multiple Choice exam. This is explicitly mentioned also in this good text:
    https://www.investopedia.com/articles/investing/040915/how-start-hedge-fund-united-states.asp
    But small hedge funds (AUM < 100m) maybe don't need to register. Can vary by state.

See also https://www.investopedia.com/articles/financial-theory/11/how-to-legally-form-a-hedge-fund.asp

Last edited: Feb 29, 2024
  4. ZBZB

ZBZB

You can control 15 accounts in other peoples names with an interactive brokers friends and family master account.

MoreLeverage, elite1974 and Quanto like this.
  5. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

You have to be very careful providing this stock answer. All 50 states have different rules as when you need to register with the State or SEC. I did a quick search and I read:

In Texas, you may need to register to manage trading accounts if you meet any of the following criteria:
    • You have at least one Texas resident client
    • You manage less than $100 million in assets within the state
    • You market any of your services in the state
    If you manage more than $100 million in assets, you might need to register with the SEC.

Just because IB allows it does not mean it is legal.

6. Quanto

Quanto

7. ZBZB

ZBZB

IB friends and family is worth investigating because it is free. Setting up a hedge fund can cost $100,000

8. R1234

R1234

hope there's big AUM because ongoing fund administration costs for an offshore master-feeder structure can be more than $50k

taojaxx likes this.
  9. schizo

schizo

This topic has already been covered. See the following quote.

In fact, I suggest you to check out this entire thread. It outlines the legal ramifications on what you can and cannot do when managing OPM.

https://www.elitetrader.com/et/thre...-in-portfolio-assistance.376509/#post-5873047

Also to obtain a "professional" status, you really need to become licensed (eg. pass the exam) and registered with the state or the national agencies like FINRA or SEC/CFTC.

upload_2024-2-29_9-54-40.png

Quanto, MACD and LiquidMike like this.
  10. Thanks- but not looking for US based entities as stated in my initial post; so only Bermuda or Caymans, so this discussion moving off into US laws is a bit irrelevant in this case. One of the brokerages and a Bermuda law firm confirmed that having SEC licenses isn't required.

But ya, I think my question has been answered.

#10     Feb 29, 2024