Problems trading futures in IRA accounts at IB?

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by chanelops, Mar 6, 2015.

1. rmorse

rmorse Sponsor

I'm in the process of using Midland IRA so I can open a futures account where I want to. I'm not going to trade my RothIra myself. I'm going to choose a few managers. My account will be at FC Stone but Midland Ira will provide all the filings as FC Stone does not accept IRAs directly.

#141     Jun 16, 2015
  2. bone

bone

Can anyone say if IB has gone so insanely conservative in terms of risk parameters for legit exchange SPAN spread margin credits for spread positions in IRA accounts ?

#142     Jun 16, 2015
  3. hajimow

hajimow

Make sure that you set your IRA account as margin and not as cash.

#143     Jun 16, 2015
  4. hajimow

hajimow

I don't trade futures in my IRA account but I just put a fake ES future option order and it was accepted and then after 2 minutes I cancelled it.

#144     Jun 16, 2015
  5. bone

bone

Rogue SPOOFER ! :D

#145     Jun 16, 2015
    hajimow likes this.
  6. hajimow

hajimow

I don't want to go off the subject but iust look at my option trades today. Look at the commissions. The negative numbers are rebates. That makes me addicted to IB :)

#146     Jun 16, 2015
  7. hajimow

hajimow

My knowledge is much much less than yours in terms of margin requirements and trading futures but as far as I know , IB DOES require different margin for futures (like ES as I have traded it just a few times) during the trading hours and keeping the position overnight. When I used to trade it in like 2011 it was about $2500 and $4000 for overnight.

#147     Jun 16, 2015
  8. hajimow

hajimow

If IB has increased margin rate and if I want to be careful in trading, I would also be cautious. I would assume they know more than I and they know that market might become more volatile in the near future so I would not use full margin and just inch up my cautiousness.

#148     Jun 16, 2015
  9. rmorse

rmorse Sponsor

#149     Jun 16, 2015
  10. xandman

xandman

Anybody trade those option products at EUREX?

Are they liquid?

#150     Jun 16, 2015