Position Trading - getting comfortable with size?

Discussion in 'Risk Management' started by smili, May 11, 2015.

1. Jakobsberg

Jakobsberg

Yeah OK good point. knowing what your doing and having a well thought out plan should give you the confidence to have bigger positions. Just seems like his building his own more expensive version of an ETF thats all.

#11     May 11, 2015
  2. loyek590

loyek590

no kidding, you start adding you end up with an etf, or eventually S&P 500, with all the risk and none of the diversity

#12     May 11, 2015
  3. loyek590

loyek590

but getting back to the Swiss Axioms, it's something an individual trader can do if he has no shareholders to answer to other than himself.

maybe five to seven ideas, and no problem holding cash which can be used at any time, especially during drawdown like the dry powder it was invented to be.

keep 50% in the index and see if you are one of the greats who can out perform

#13     May 11, 2015
  4. loyek590

loyek590

if you are a trader, that is your chosen profession, and you should and must beat the index, just like if you had chosen to own a hardware store or restaurant. But it is hard work and requires showing up every day with no vacation. And the idea is to get all that actively managed money into passively managed money for your old age.

#14     May 11, 2015
    Jones75 likes this.
  5. loyek590

loyek590

and some of us find we like trading more than we like receiving a check each month

#15     May 11, 2015
    Jones75 likes this.
  6. smili

smili

Thanks for comments

I'm age 44, semi-retired. What we have is what's been saved/invested from a corporate jobs. We live pretty frugally and feel like we have enough saved for retirement. No debt. Cash-flow for day to day living is adequate (wife is a writer so that's most of income currently), though not extravagant. We're in process of downsizing from a home that is too big to also help lower our expense profile. I could go back to corporate if needed, but trying to start something new. We live pretty simply and don't need much.

#16     May 11, 2015
  7. smili

smili

volpunter, thanks for comment.

The reason I ask the question is for tips on becoming comfortable with size.

To be clear, I've experienced large losses in individual securities. Gut punches. I understand the feeling. I don't like it. But loosing 30% of a $60K position feels very different to me than losing 30% of a $15K position, if that makes sense. I almost don't even take note of the latter and obsess over the former. I realize loses can easily exceed 30%, especially in bears like 2000-2003 and 2007-2009 markets. I will be wrong. Big losses will happen (I'm trying to be more careful about risk now than I was when I was younger - but I realize mistakes will happen).

Tips for how to handle this odd situation where the increased size of portfolio changes the way I think about the investments. I know on % terms the size shouldn't matter, but in the decision making process it seems to matter.

#17     May 11, 2015
  8. smili

smili

Is the book by chance _The Zurich Axioms_ instead? I can't find _The Swiss Axioms_.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Zurich-Axioms-generations-bankers/dp/1897597495

#18     May 11, 2015
  9. smili

smili

Hi all, thanks for comments. I'm trying to get more comfortable with size, and tips on becoming more comfortable are appreciated.

Just to clarify. I'm not really a trader in the sense of most on the site. I don't get up every day and trade. I mostly read and work on models. The # of investment decisions are not high, and holding periods are more often 1+yr instead than they are months.

#19     May 11, 2015
  10. smili

smili

I appreciate the suggestion. I'll investigate and study their behavior.

Do you have a preferred vehicle for short term corporates? Something like VCSH etf?
    https://personal.vanguard.com/us/funds/snapshot?FundId=3145&FundIntExt=INT

#20     May 11, 2015