PCI-Ex16 video cards to support 4 screens?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by achilles28, May 3, 2015.

1. Video issues can be a real pain. I'd try the easy stuff first.

You'd said you "upgraded to W7-64", but you didn't say you'd done so from a fresh OS install. (Is it possible to try to change the OS when migrating from a HDD to a new SSD?? I'm probably old school, but I'd never try to "upgrade" the OS... and any "migrating" I might do would have to be via cloning or image restoration on the same machine.)

Last edited: May 4, 2015
    #11     May 4, 2015
  2. achilles28

achilles28

hmmmm....I installed W7-64 on a used hard drive which was reformatted. I reformatted the drive (wiped XP off the drive), then installed Windows 7. Not a XP upgrade to Windows 7, if that makes sense?

#12     May 4, 2015
  3. Here's a possibility. When Vista came out many of us didn't want to keep it... preferring XP. But reformatting a Vista drive didn't work like we'd hoped. Seems the Master Boot Record didn't get overwritten in the reformatting. The solution was to run a Low Level Format... which also overwrites the MBR... then, fresh format/install of different OS. Ever since that experience with Vista, I automatically run LLF on any drive where the OS will be changed... even when changing W7-32 to W7-64. Not 100% sure I always need to do that these days, but I do it anyway.

#13     May 4, 2015
    achilles28 likes this.
  4. achilles28

achilles28

Reformat ehhhhh I'd rather just buy some new video cards....but lemmie think about it.

#14     May 4, 2015
  5. Can't blame you there... but if the problem is with old schmutz on the drive, new video cards won't help. If you've got a spare drive laying around, you might try LLF + fresh W7-64 install. There is still the possibility your W7 just doesn't "like" the monitor you have in the primary position in a 4-monitor setup.... has happened to me.

#15     May 4, 2015
  6. achilles28

achilles28

k hold on. Will change primary now. How do I perform a LLF?

#16     May 4, 2015
  7. Do a search for "Low Level Format 4.25" (later versions have bundled software). It will run at 50Mb/s unless you buy the upgrade. Upgrade is only $3 and will let your drive write as fast as it's capable..... it's worth the $3, especially for SSDs.

Mount the drive to be LLF as a secondary (the program won't LLF the boot drive so users don't screw themselves up). Then run the program. I've used it lots of times.

#17     May 5, 2015
  8. apdxyk

apdxyk

Sorry, gentlemen, it's a waste of time. LLF is not the most optimal way to rewrite MBR, and reformatting MBR is not going to make the video issues go away.

#18     May 9, 2015
  9. xandman

xandman

Old MBR information could be corrupting the behaviour of the new OS and making it think it is a ghost of its former self. Sure, every A+ certified tech knows MBR doesn't contain video drivers but stranger things have happened when the OS doesn't know what it is. Scat is talking from experience.

Though, I am afraid this OP will turn the drive into a paper weight. Happens to the best of us.

#19     May 10, 2015
  10. 1. I don't know the "optimal" way to rewrite the MBR, but LLF does work. At least it assures you're working with a clean slate.

2. Rewriting the MBR may make the video issues go away. We're troubleshooting here. Every possibility is to be explored. Hopefully your first try/guess is correct. Usually it isn't.

Last edited: May 11, 2015
    #20     May 11, 2015