Paul Krugman "What Ails The World Right Now Is That Governments Aren’t Deep Enough In Debt"

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Tsing Tao, Aug 22, 2015.

1. loyek590

loyek590

intelligent debt increases future economic benefit

#21     Aug 26, 2015
  2. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

Um..ok. Sure, buddy.

#22     Aug 26, 2015
  3. loyek590

loyek590

just about every S&P 500 company has bonds out there. Do you think they issued those bonds knowing full well that they are just borrowing from future shareholders? They hope their debt is intelligent, and will improve future earnings for the shareholders. But they are in the business to make a profit. The government can't even break even. Krugman wants to run the government like a business. What do you think? Should the government be run just like a business?

#23     Aug 26, 2015
  4. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

Right. And the fact that many of those "intelligent" companies that issued debt to buyback shares of stock at all-time high prices did it for other than the reason that they were incentivized on share price, right?

Because I'm just a dumb finance guy, but when I remember talking about debt in school, it was issued to do things like modernize infrastructure, buy competition, launch new products, etc.

I must have missed the chapter on issuing debt to buy back stock at highs. Was that the same chapter on "intelligent debt"?

#24     Aug 26, 2015
    i960 and der_kommissar like this.
  5. Mr.Wahdy

Mr.Wahdy

Tsing, you probably fell asleep in your WACC class, or stock buy backs financed by debt would at least be familiar to you.

Debt is not inherently good or bad, like most things, it depends on the price. If the US Gov't can borrow for 0%, then they should and spend that money on increasing future production potential (roads, freeways, high speed rail, r&d, education).

#25     Aug 27, 2015
  6. SunTrader

SunTrader

How embarrassing. Had they let this one slip by:

Perry Bullock ‏@PerryBullock Aug 22

@jimcramer @SuzeOrmanShow Yea let's keep those printing presses going !!! Especially in an election year, we must help Hillary.

#26     Aug 29, 2015
  7. Occasionally Loyek is coherent, but usually he is talking in circles...

#27     Aug 29, 2015
  8. fhl

fhl

[​IMG]

#28     Aug 31, 2015
  9. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

Maybe you were asleep during the reading of my post? Allow me to highlight the words that were most important as a general service.

"I must have missed the chapter on issuing debt to buy back stock at highs"

#29     Sep 2, 2015
  10. loyek590

loyek590

it's not high if you think it's going higher. Why not issue a warning to everybody to never trade on margin? same thing

#30     Sep 2, 2015