Paul Krugman "What Ails The World Right Now Is That Governments Aren’t Deep Enough In Debt"

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Tsing Tao, Aug 22, 2015.

1. Well flight to safety kind of maneuver implies buying US treasuries? .. My thoughts is this will uncover some leverage in the system, and cause deleveraging if anything

#11     Aug 23, 2015
  2. loyek590

loyek590

no, we are in just until maturity, and then we will roll over again at a higher rate (or lower rate, it doesn't matter, it is all just asset allocation.)

#12     Aug 23, 2015
  3. fhl

fhl

Not enuf debt! They're gonna need a bigger balance sheet!

[​IMG]

Not to worry, though. The Great and Powerful Fed has their back.

[​IMG]

#13     Aug 23, 2015
    Tsing Tao, i960 and cdcaveman like this.
  4. Ha-ha good one.... Love the Oz reference.. Jaws created a shark fear never known before

#14     Aug 23, 2015
  5. Arnie

Arnie

I think Mr Krugman makes a valid argument about govt debt being stimulative, unfortunately, that won't work anymore, or at least not the way he envisions, for a couple of reasons.

#1. When this has been done in the past, we weren't already at record levels of debt, (with the exception of just after WWII). I doubt Mr Krugman would call for a WWIII to help the economy.

#2. The most likely outcome of expanded debt would be to increase the social safety net. It would not go to infrastructure. Too many beholden interests have their hand in the pie that's there. There not going to make another pie for infrastructure.

#15     Aug 25, 2015
  6. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

Make no mistake, debt is a great way to get out of economic doldrums. But you're bang on - eventually, too much debt prevents the stimulus of more debt. What is debt? Simply put, it's just consumption brought forward from the future - at the expense of future economic benefit. Anything borrowed now must be paid later with future income, no matter if it's personal, corporate or sovereign.

#16     Aug 26, 2015
  7. it's the efficient market theory at work.. More capital leads to a lower return on capital.. same thing with economic stimulus.. more stimulus means less effect..

#17     Aug 26, 2015
  8. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

Also leads to reckless use of capital, as risk is mis-priced.

#18     Aug 26, 2015
    i960 and cdcaveman like this.
  9. Right buried leverge

#19     Aug 26, 2015
  10. Yes, IOW, it's the bailout of one generation at the expense of another.

#20     Aug 26, 2015
    i960, Tsing Tao and cdcaveman like this.