One for the ages: I owe Etrade $106k, ouch.

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Covertibility, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Not possible.
    It was posted on MarketWatch.com which VERIFIES all of it's published articles and stories.

#81     Nov 23, 2015
  2. noddyboy

noddyboy

I am sure the fund raiser is verified, but they can't get personal information from etrade.

#82     Nov 23, 2015
  3. I am sure they could at least verify that he had an account there and that the account is now suspended.

#83     Nov 24, 2015
  4. noddyboy

noddyboy

That would be scary. So many hackers have information on millions of Americans. They can then contact every brokerage and then map out a plan of attack that way.

#84     Nov 24, 2015
  5. noddyboy

noddyboy

Not disagreeing but think it is scary. I am thinking of spreading across 10 brokers so that I am under the SIPC limit for each one. Scottrade got hacked.

#85     Nov 24, 2015
  6. Knowing only the name is useless. Now, having the account number would be something else.

#86     Nov 24, 2015
  7. SunTrader

SunTrader

If they worked for one of Rupert Murdock's rags sure.

#87     Nov 24, 2015
  8. noddyboy

noddyboy

Knowing anything is useful, eg. a scammer can then call the customer pretending to be etrade or whatever brokerage.

#88     Nov 25, 2015
  9. Yes. Instead of seeking money, people ought to seek to develop a nuanced understanding. With the wisdom to intelligently direct their consistent effort, money follows. Finding the right influences to guide me towards this path was key - yet I wasted so much time floundering and there seemed to be a large element of luck involved.

There is a distinction between helping and enabling: buying someone out of trouble can often set them up for more pain and bewilderment as they repeat the mistake. Well intentioned help can become hindrance.

#89     Nov 29, 2015
  10. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

Likely a hoax. Story doesn't make sense. Trader wanted to keep trading small so as to not lose 37K. Yet, was short Biotech. Tale doesn't ring true.

#90     Dec 7, 2015