On the fundamentalism of PA traders

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by Smurfie, Nov 15, 2008.

1. Lucrum

Lucrum

Cause my memory isn't as good as it used to be.

#51     Nov 17, 2008
  2. You guys are over complicating this, as usual. Please explain how a bar chart lags. The Close on the bar is constantly updated. Sure, if you make the assumption that you can only make a trade AFTER the bar is compete, then you can claim there's lag.

For the purpose of conversation though, I think it's reasonable to consider an indicator as a mathematical derivation
    of C,H,L,O or V that utilizes AT LEAST two bars, which by definition, must lag. Any other trading structure such as price, volume, or other data on a chart, DOM, DOM Bars, spreadsheets, etc, are all updated in real time, hence no lag.

#52     Nov 17, 2008
  3. Smurfie

Smurfie

Because once you see your bar reacting off some S/R or whatever, the movement - by definition - is already under way. Just as it is already under way when your just as constantly updating indicator says there's a counter-movement.

If you trade before the bar is complete, then you may as well trade before you have the final indicator reading for that bar.

I hope we're talking about the same thing.

Cheers,

Smurf

#53     Nov 17, 2008
  4. Also, I don't know why some of you guys don't utilize volume. It's right there in real time too, why not use it? It does take more homework to understand, but its worth your time.

#54     Nov 17, 2008
  5. Who says you have to wait for a movement to be under way. Price and Price-Volume traders operate in real time. You see.....you react or alternatively you have orders already placed, so that if price does X, your acct. trades or reverses.

#55     Nov 17, 2008
  6. AT

You appear to be absorbed within the world of charting and not that of trading.

The difference may appear subtle and somewhat pedantic until you begin to trade and place expectations upon a correct fill.
    It is at this point that the concept of lag becomes apparent if it has'nt sunk in already.
    If the market is slow moving you will get away with it for the most part.
    However if you chose to trade ES volatility, you will not.

To fill correctly is the essence of trading ES to me.
    Every else is in a supporting role to this singular act.

regards
    f9

#56     Nov 17, 2008
  7. I must have backtested dozens of systems with VOLUME and I confess there has hardly been any improvement when taking into account VOLUME.

Now, I observe that SOMETIMES volume spikes at important junctures, at turning points, at tops and bottoms, especially in the shorter timefrane, e.g. 1 min chart

But, in backtesting it is inconsistent. maybe I am doing something wrong... how do you use VOLUME?

#57     Nov 17, 2008
  8. Market orders work just fine. No need to wait for "expectations upon a correct fill".

#58     Nov 17, 2008
  9. I played around with backtesting awhile ago, simply to learn something about trading that I didn't know about.

Backtesting vs. learning PA (&V) is sort of like having girlfriends vs. having a great wife. You can keep several girfriends going at the same time and work to change them around continuously OR just keep keep the same great wife and be happy. Different strokes....

#59     Nov 17, 2008
  10. jmonday

jmonday

nicely put Alpine..

#60     Nov 17, 2008