Oil Rig Count and Predicting a Rebound

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by Blitzinger, Nov 23, 2015.

1. Cswim63

Cswim63

Basically agree. It seems there is a certain class of people who do not like to think for themselves, or can't. The market strategists at the houses fulfill that need well. It also gives people the illusion of control-- that someone is on top of the situation, monitoring for signs of change. The reality is that the prediction business doesn't seem to be more accurate than flipping a coin, the exceptions proving the rule. It seems that it's more public relations than anything. The more stuff you say, the more attention you get. If you don't do it, your competition will, and they will get the trade flow. Mostly if your opinion turns out wrong, people forget. And that's what all of it is--opinion. If you think the house sauce is better, that they are saving it for themselves, I give you Lehman Brothers.

#51     Dec 23, 2015
  2. The reality is that the prediction business in "public media includes CNBC, Ibanks marketing" doesn't seem to be more accurate than flipping a coin, or should be worse than flipping a coin.

#52     Dec 23, 2015
  3. Maverick74

Maverick74

Well, oil is 20% lower since this post. I still think we are heading to the 20's.

#53     Jan 6, 2016
  4. Cswim63

Cswim63

I still see guys in here trying to pick a bottom, which sort of shocks me. Yesterday about buying KMI. So I guess there's still some buyers left, despite how oversold it all is. Now we need some chest beating about what a great short oil was for them.

#54     Jan 6, 2016
  5. S and P looks much more scary than oil.

#55     Jan 6, 2016
  6. Maverick74

Maverick74

o
    Scarier?

#56     Jan 6, 2016
    Cswim63 likes this.
  7. Cswim63

Cswim63

What are you scared about? My (our) traders' antannae just got an erection over that one. It's going down, the opposite of up.

#57     Jan 6, 2016
  8. Anyone can provide a good prediction for the worst price?

#58     Jan 10, 2016
  9. Maverick74

Maverick74

Sure, in the long run, all competitive markets end up getting priced at marginal cost. In the case of oil that will be the marginal cost of the lowest cost producer which is Saudi. That will be in the $10 to $15 range.

#59     Jan 10, 2016
  10. Cswim63

Cswim63

I would say, look for some signs of hysteria in either oil or sp for some kind of bottom. Usually bottoms and tops take time to form, so there's no rush. I've spotted my first newbie trying to find a way to buy oil puts, so there's a straw in the wind.

#60     Jan 10, 2016