Oil Rig Count and Predicting a Rebound

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by Blitzinger, Nov 23, 2015.

1. When you are saying you are holding some ETF for long haul, I hope you are not talking about USO or OIL?

#11     Nov 23, 2015
    cjbuckley4 likes this.
  2. Turveyd

Turveyd

Prev Lows 37.50 area, next low could go to 32, but odds are it'll test 56 before that.

Finite Source, costing most companies 60-70 per barrel to extract and process, below that is not sustainable, they'll have to close shop worst case, then the lack of supply will sky rocket the price.

Russia situation is improving aswell, there helping in Syria against ISIS, if Ukraine calms down then they'll let price up again, I reckon this is all to bankrupt Russia, the only way to hurt them.

#12     Nov 23, 2015
  3. Cswim63

Cswim63

My thoughts on this are why are you trying to pick a bottom? I would short rebounds until the market really turns. Then you are going with the flow instead of peeing upwind. It seems harder because oil seems so cheap. But it might be expensive later. Inexpensive commodities tend to become more inexpensive until they reverse. When oil eventually reverses then you can play the long side. Until then sit on your hands. Even if you are right in this trade its a bad trade.--Swimr

#13     Nov 24, 2015
    bone likes this.
  4. Cswim63

Cswim63

While you were fixated on buying something that is losing value, the Australian dollar rallied out of a daily triangle against the upward dollar trend. There were probably several other really good setups you missed this week while you were looking at oil. And there will be more in the coming weeks and months while you wait for The Great Pumpkin to arrive.

#14     Nov 24, 2015
  5. Maverick74

Maverick74

There is some bad economics here. Saudi's marginal cost for oil is $15 a barrel and they have more supply then God. The 60 to 70 dollar cost guys are the shale players and while they may not produce here they also have more supply on hand then God. They will be selling for the next year at these prices and lower. The demand demand destruction from China is the death nail. Even "if'" China's economy did a 180 and went to the moon, there still is too much supply. We need another 12 months to work it off and even then we are still producing so we will have to work off this supply as well. Oil is going to the 20's.

#15     Nov 27, 2015
    komorebi likes this.
  6. Maverick74

Maverick74

7. Cswim63

Cswim63

That's wonderful. Who benefits if that's true? Right now the dollar is strong and oil is down. Maybe it's just a dollar play and the rest of the fundamentals are following. I wonder if the dollar were down would this weakness in oil even be happening .

#17     Nov 27, 2015
  8. well, If Saudi was manipulating the supply of fiat oil I would agree with you.

#18     Nov 28, 2015
  9. Maverick74

Maverick74

Well.....almost everyone benefits. Oil is priced into almost every product you use either directly or indirectly. As far as the dollar, while it has effect, it's not the reason for the decline. Although the strong dollar is not doing any favors for all shale companies drowning in debt. It's costing them more money to service their loans.

#19     Nov 28, 2015
  10. Cswim63

Cswim63

I'm thinking the overall reason for the decline is the economy sucks worse than is apparent. So you have demand destruction weighed against lower costs. If true, I would expect lack of demand to be a stronger factor as far as earnings and the markets. So I see it as more of a short play

#20     Nov 28, 2015