OandaWrap: Php API interface

Discussion in 'App Development' started by Tavurth, Aug 13, 2014.

1. I do not and even if I worked for IB I would tell you the exact same thing, because everything I said are established facts. I provided proof and links to real-time spread data between Oanda and IB. I do not preach to anyone but inform people of facts. And with brokers like IB and especially brokers like LMAX you can in fact trade higher frequency models because the total costs of execution make you able to do so. Let everyone choose their own approach to the market, some of the most profitable hft houses (Virtu) do not have a single losing day in a year or two and yet they manage an edge of only a tiny 1 percent or so and they probably pay a high percentage of their gross pnl as execution related costs or for hedges. I simply provide facts of how much brokers charge and Oanda is in everything inferior compared to brokers such as IB when it comes to execution related cost. Even if you gun for your recommended "100-1000" pips (which hardly ever materialize) you still pay lower commissions with IB than with Oanda. So, you keep on rambling about issues that do not put Oanda into any better light.

#31     Dec 13, 2014
  2. Tavurth

Tavurth

If you are gunning for 100 pips and they are not materializing then you are on the wrong side of the market, or your timeframe is too short..

#32     Dec 13, 2014
  3. Your comment has nothing to do with the topic at hand and makes you look stupid!!! Sometimes its better to remain silent if nothing of value can be added.

#33     Dec 13, 2014
  4. Tavurth

Tavurth

Oh great wise sage, what words of wisdom. I love you Volpunter, your clarity cuts through the crap.

Let me reinstate the topic:

OandaWrap: Php API interface

#34     Dec 13, 2014
  5. sure, and until now you are unable/unwilling to answer why you would target the OANDA Api while you conveniently left out APIs of other very popular and way more competitive brokers, execution related cost wise. So the question begs whether you are the one who conveniently omitted that he/she actually works for Oanda or receives monetary or non-monetary compensation for supporting their API. I love disclosure, and so do most others.

(or are you one of those clowns with CS degree but zero experience on the trading side who delights in implementing technology because it makes you feel productive without caring about whether your product actually makes sense or is in the correct order of implementation priority list?)

#35     Dec 13, 2014
  6. Tavurth

Tavurth

I added a very simple example to the project showing how to retrieve quotes from Oanda.

Example

Edit: I didn't see your post Vol, I do not work for Oanda, I'm just using their service as a base on which to build.

OandaWrap is the overflow of my code. I have compartmentalized the project as new trading ideas become very easy to model with a good framework as a base.
    I feel that the best way to help new traders is to allow them more powerful tools, so that their analysis may quickly become logical and precise.

As for accounting my trading experience..
    I work with algorithmic studies of tick data, scaling the frequencies of fractal artifacts, and their geometric relationships.

What is your interest in trading, and how did you arrive here on this forum?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2014
    #36     Dec 13, 2014
  7. dartmus

dartmus

Can you go into more detail about scaling freq's of fractals and in particular their geometric relationships? Is this related to defining butterfly patterns?

#37     Dec 13, 2014
  8. Tavurth

Tavurth

None of my edges are so secure as to afford dilution.

#38     Dec 13, 2014
  9. if you indeed worked with tick data and strategies that are latency and tick data sensitive you would quickly realize how useless the Oanda data feed actually is. You cannot profitably trade high frequency strategies on Oanda data feeds nor Oanda's inferior quality of execution. Each tiny fraction of a pip in spread improvement counts and nobody in their right mind would trade a currency pair with 3.5 pip wide spreads when the actual market is only 1.5 pips wide, regardless of whether you trade high frequency strategies or longer frequency ones. The impact of wider spreads may be lesser on longer term holding periods but it still negatively impacts your overall performance.

I get that you look to implement different broker connectivity I merely asked why you would prioritize Oanda over other broker interfaces that offer much more competitive business models.

#39     Dec 14, 2014
  10. Tavurth

Tavurth

When I was looking for a new broker, I did a collective comparison sweep of more than 50. While IB was superior in pricing I was looking for a specific broker for a specific function. Oanda has fit that function very well.

Have you investigated this yourself? I have found the data feed with very few latency problems, and very easy to code for. Might I ask Volpunter, with which broker(s) you have an account, if any?

Last edited: Dec 14, 2014
    #40     Dec 14, 2014