Multiple 4k monitors, connectivity and stability

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by vic38, Mar 19, 2024.

1. vic38

vic38

PC: Intel i5-14600, 64GB RAM, 2 x Nvidia P620 graphics cards, Windows 10

2 x 4k monitors, 4 x 2k (QHD) monitors

Previously I had only 1 x 4k and 4 x 2k monitors. Adding the second 4k seems to have introduced some stability issues when changing monitor profiles - I use Monitor Profile Switcher to change which monitors are enabled/disabled. Just this morning the PC locked up when changing monitor profiles.

As I understand it, the Nvidia P620 should be able to run 4 x 4k monitors. But I'm only running 1 x 4k and 2 x 2k on each card. I doubt I could get anywhere near 4 x 4k on one card. The 2k monitors are DisplayPort MST daisy-chained (one 2k connected to another 2k connected to the graphics card; same for the other pair of 2k monitors), if that may be the problem.

Do I need better workstation graphics cards? Or is it the CPU? A friend mentioned how his multimonitor setup became more stable when he upgraded his CPU.

Ideally I'd like to be able to run 4 x 4k monitors. Or 3 x 4k and 2 x 2k. But the current system feels fragile as it is, and I don't think I can add another 4k monitor without introducing more instability.

Anyone with experience with multiple 4k monitor setups, or mixing multiple 4k and 2k monitors?

2. MarkBrown

MarkBrown

its not the cpu or ram i know that.

after reading up on the card i suspect your cable setup

can you not run one display port cable to each monitor?

vic38 likes this.
  3. Ninja

Ninja

What happens without Monitor Profile Switcher?

What happens when you connect 2x 4k to a P620, without 2k monitors?

What happens when you connect 2x4k to a P620 and a 2k without daisy-chaining?

Also it looks like NVIDIA released a new driver just yesterday, which also includes the P620:
    https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/223432/en-us/

Last edited: Mar 20, 2024
    vic38 and MarkBrown like this.
  4. vic38

vic38

I'm using the MST daisychain because I have a standing desk, so by daisychaining the 2 2k monitors farthest from the PC (on the floor), I don't need very long DP cables. But yes, I mentioned it because I thought it may possibly be the issue. I'll try connecting each monitor directly to the graphics cards. If that improves stability, then I'll get longer DP cables to restore standing desk functionality.

5. vic38

vic38

It seems similarly fragile if I use Windows Display Settings. MPS is a very simple program that I believe is just using Windows Display Settings backend to enable/disable monitors, though of course it can send the instructions to Display Settings much faster than I can manually.

Good question, I'll have to check this.

Another good question. As I mentioned to Mark, I'll try making direct connections to the graphics cards.

Thanks, won't hurt to try updating to the latest. I think the last update I made was a year ago.

6. You've got the right video card to do this (P620... I have 3 of these installed in my machines). Be sure to install latest driver from NVDA website (not MSFT one), have proper HD cable (v1.4), and use Nvidia control panel for your setup and management... no other 3rd party software for that. (Suggest uninstalling Profile Switcher... may conflict.) Skip any daisy chaining.

CPU should have nothing to do with your video display.

rb7 and vic38 like this.
  7. vic38

vic38

Do you have 3 or 4 4k monitors connected to any of these P620's?

Yes, I only get drivers direct from Nvidia.

Good point about cables; mine are several years old, so probably DP 1.2.

Looks like Nvidia Control Panel doesn't have ability to save different monitor profiles (i.e., which monitors are enabled/disabled) and switch between them with hotkeys. I'm gonna hope the problem is either daisy chaining or older cables!

8. My trading rig is Dell Precision 5810 workstation (for which I paid $75* on eBay... LOL... video cards and monitors extra, of course), W10, P620, 4x, 4K monitors. Yes, I think you need DP v 1.4 to be assured of 4K res... The DP-mDP adaptors that come with P620 are OK for 4K. Otherwise you can get "DP-mDP" cables in DP 1.4... if not on Amazon, then MonoPrice. Forget daisy chaining.

* Spending $THOUSANDS on a high-power trading rig buys you NOTHING!! The "roadblock to success" isn't anything about your computer... it's all about the "space between your ears."

vic38 likes this.
  9. Nvidia video driver is "omnibus". Years ago they did drivers for individual cards. Today they do just one collective driver for all cards supported. At installation, the part of the omnibus which applies to your card is extracted and installed. Newer version of the driver will not likely apply to you unless your card is very recent.

vic38 likes this.
  10. tony.m

tony.m

Looks like you have the AI turned on. :D

#10     Mar 21, 2024