Michelle Obama's School Lunch program: 4 million dollars worth of food thrown in the trash everyday

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Max E., Sep 22, 2014.

1. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

Most adults today don't. They're enabled to be the pigs they've become comfortable with.

#101     Sep 23, 2014
  2. Ricter

Ricter

May not be such a stretch. The current thinking is that due to chronically elevated insulin levels, and the consequent fuel partitioning to fat storage, the rest of the body's cells are literally starving. Couple that with leptin and ghrelin dysfunction, and the addictive nature of these products, and you have fat people (and kids) in the candy aisle.

Lol, what am I saying, "candy aisle"? Modern food shopping is 16 aisles of processed carbs, and 4 of meat and vegetables, most aisles are candy aisles!

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
    #102     Sep 23, 2014
  3. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

The presence of fat people in the candy aisle is not a glandular or insulin reaction of any sort. It's a conscious decision to walk down that aisle.

With the exception of buying candy for Halloween trick-or-treaters, I don't think I ever walk down that aisle.

#103     Sep 23, 2014
  4. Lucrum

Lucrum

Me neither, unless maybe it's on the way to the beer isle.

#104     Sep 23, 2014
  5. Ricter

Ricter

No, I don't think it determines behavior, but simply loads the dice. And if you don't know that high carb (but low fat!) food causes obesity, not high fat food, then your decision making is going to be faulty.

It's been fun, you'll be seeing a LOT more in the months and years to come on the debate, now lost, between low fat and low carb eating and obesity. Hopefully that results in less junky carbs, especially simple carbs, being served to our kids at school.

#105     Sep 23, 2014