McDonalds Responds To Minimum Wage Protests

Discussion in 'Economics' started by blakpacman, May 24, 2015.

1. i960

i960

You say it as if some of them actually have a choice in the matter or the means to actually afford college from which to achieve a better career.

#21     May 30, 2015
  2. #22     May 30, 2015
  3. To each his own...whatever floats your boat mate. If I could not get it up anymore with a real woman and if I was not married I would definitely pay you for a consulting gig to advise on the best sex dolls in the market.

#23     May 30, 2015
    lucysparabola likes this.
  4. clacy

clacy

The market (you and I and everyone you know) determine what McDonald's wages are. If we want to pay up for burgers and fries, I will guarantee McD's wages go up.

Workers will protest and McD's and other restaurants will find a way to streamline operations in order to reduce labor costs.

That's how the private sector works.

#24     May 30, 2015
    marketsurfer likes this.
  5. zdreg

zdreg

"It is ridiculous that compensation committed even today set compensation as function of share price and not relative out performance of share price."
    statement does not reflect reality. mediocre CEos and managers are paid ridiculously high salaries even when the company performs mediocrity. an example is General Motors' management which was in bed with the auto labor unions for decades, as the co. continually drained market share to the japanese. management continued to get paid generously as the stock price meandered south.

too much power is given to board of directors which rubber stamp management decisions and do not act in the best interest of shareholders. the solution is to allow more shareholder votes on crucial issues but management will fight it tooth and nail.

#25     May 30, 2015
  6. zdreg

zdreg

if I was writing my PH.D thesis on prostitution or were to become a sex tour guide I would come to you,volly, as an expert not from hearsay or book reading, but as someone with extensive life experience, second to none.
    http://www.elitetrader.com/et/index...indicator-wallstreet-is-booming-again.291531/

Last edited: May 30, 2015
    #26     May 30, 2015
  7. piezoe

piezoe

That's a pretty big net you've cast, Surf!, covering all the way from minimum wage workers to millionaires. Would you agree that a minimum wage worker might find it easy to overspend their income; might find it impossible not to? ;)

#27     May 31, 2015
  8. It all depends how frugal, willing and intelligent they are in seeking alternatives to excess capital.

You hear stories about millionaire janitors and stuff like that-- so its indeed possible to survive and not overspend on min wage.

surf

Last edited: May 31, 2015
    #28     May 31, 2015
  9. piezoe

piezoe

I do hear those stories, usually without much specifics. Should we base our general views on anecdotes, or what is true in general?

In my hometown, not far from where I live, a woman, Oceola McCarty, lived and made "a living" taking in laundry and ironing. Families who had lived here for more than a generation took their holiday table cloths to her to be washed and ironed. She charged 50 cents a shirt to launder and iron it immaculately when local cleaners were charging 1.50 to do a less good job. In her small house, where I had been many times, she had a galvanized pipe running down the center of her small living room. On this she hung the clothes ready to be picked up. She also had one easy chair of approximately 1940s vintage. The room was devoid of any other furnishings. From the front door you could get a glimpse of her work area which was in an adjoining room; an ironing board and a washing machine with some noticeable rust on it. She did not use a dryer.

Over her working lifetime, which began as a young girl, as she followed the profession of her grandmother before her, Oceloa McCarty dutifully walked to town every week and made a deposit into her bank savings account. By the time of her retirement in her eighties, she had managed to save over $100,000 in her checking account. (Google Oceola McCarty; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oseola_McCarty )

Is this the kind of life we should use to justify a minimum wage today that is over 30% lower -- in constant dollars of course -- than the minimum in 1965?

Is Oceola's exemplary life more than we have a reasonable right to expect?

#29     May 31, 2015
  10. Obviously these folks who manage to save up tidy sums are outliers. But heck, like i said, if u are intelligent, frugal, and not materialistic-- you can survive on min wage.

Remember, its a starting wage- if you are worthy u will move up to more money over time.

#30     May 31, 2015