"Marketsurfer is correct: There is no Trends!" --- There are only Turns!

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by OddTrader, Jan 28, 2015.

1. Not always. A lot of trends are known in advance. Trends usually take preparation. For instance, if you see workmen laying tarmac, although you can't yet see the road, you know a road will become available for you to drive on.

#31     Jan 28, 2015
    Ghost_of_Blotto likes this.

2. No disrespect meant, but this is psychobabble.

#32     Jan 28, 2015
  3. Nine_Ender

Nine_Ender

What a load of crap. In 2010, there were a group of posters insisting that stocks moved randomly. So I presented a real example of a stock that was clearly trending up. It was Biovail, and it had rallied from $13 to $24 a share when I posted it. It is now called Valient Pharma, it's been in a steady up trend since. The posters claimed that Biovail at the time was moving randomly, ignoring the basic fact that fundamentals and future prospects were fueling a very real trend.

Posted Sept 4, 2010 :

" I have a test for you. Please explain the movement of stock BVF on the NYSE over the last three months making careful reference to your coin flipping theory. Then outline for me what trading strategy you have devised as a result for this stock.

ps It went from $13 to $24 a share pretty much on a 45 degree angle throughout the time period. "

So here you are making a very stupid pronouncement that stocks don't trend, which is akin to claiming that the earth is flat. But no different then the ridiculous people in the "Coin Flipping" thread and how thy responded to a specific identified thread. In other words, real life was puzzling to them, they'd rather live in a world of abstract ideas.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
    #33     Jan 28, 2015

4. Answer the statistical proof that there are no trends in the stock market-- self serving random examples don't prove anything. peace and thanks, surf

#34     Jan 28, 2015
  5. It's even more psychobabble if the belief is there is no purpose to markets. The markets are there to serve those who are in a position to drive them, it is profitable for those people. 90% of people lose point you to one of the major reasons for the markets.

#35     Jan 28, 2015
    Ghost_of_Blotto likes this.

6. I agree 100%. Goldens are great friends. This is Morgan Stanley he loved the snow--- a great friend until his untimely end-- one of the few surviving photos.

morgan.JPG

#36     Jan 28, 2015
  7. Nine_Ender

Nine_Ender

There is NOTHING random about my example. It was an identified trend that continued for 4.5 more years ( has the trend even ended yet ? ). Your statistical proof is a myth that isn't even well defined in your presentation.

You seem uneducated in the sciences, particularly mathematics. This is the kind of response I expect from someone who is a salesman who understands nothing about what they are selling. I'd love to see the "proof" you claim exists, because I know it's a load of crap.

#37     Jan 28, 2015
    kut2k2 likes this.
  8. samuel11

samuel11

You called your dog “Morgan Stanley” ?

#38     Jan 28, 2015
    i960, VPhantom and lucysparabola like this.

9. No question about it, your example trended-- but that's only in hindsight, sorry to say.

Do you believe the indexes trend to a degree to profit from the trend consistently?

surf

#39     Jan 28, 2015

10. Yes, that was his name. Morgan Stanley was my dog. My neighbor's golden was Golden Sachs.

surf

#40     Jan 28, 2015
    VPhantom likes this.