"Marketsurfer is correct: There is no Trends!" --- There are only Turns!

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by OddTrader, Jan 28, 2015.

1. Interesting ideas which seem accurate to me intuitively, thanks!!

#161     Feb 20, 2015
  2. Redneck

Redneck

Yes surf - I made a profit today - little over $6,900.00 - call it luck if you wish (fact is I had to dig myself out of a hole - but dig out nonetheless I did)

======================

No I will not post daily PnLs - first it would be PnL's.., then tax returns.., as the PnLs must be photoshopped (Lord knows it impossible to be consistently profitable - they must be fake)

There are however two members who have cart blanche to see em anytime they wish

Convincing you or anyone else is the least of my concern

It about my ego..., and how I could easily become consumed by it..., then the only way is down..., and down hard

I will reserve the right to post em at my discretion - just to shut idiots up

Savant - no..., simply a simpleminded dumbass trader

Now..., have your fun.., make your comments - just know this - I am the one banking the money

cheerios

RN

#162     Feb 20, 2015
  3. samuel11

samuel11

@marketsurfer in case you missed it

#163     Feb 20, 2015
  4. Ok, brother. I have no ill will toward you and wish you the best. There is some serious truth in your post. Heck, if you are banking coin, more power to you!! Ex-redneck surf

#164     Feb 20, 2015
  5. Visaria

Visaria

So if i don't share my research, that must mean that i don't have any. Ok. So if say, Goldman, Sachs or Jim Simons or Pfizer or Google or the CIA refuses to share their research, that accordingly, must mean they don't have any either. Lol. (btw i'm not comparing myself to these august bodies, just illustrating the principle).

I'm glad you are intelligent and happily married to an ex central banker and that you trust your own research. This is how it should be.

Having said that, i did point out that the master himself, Mr Soros, declares there to be trends in the stock market. Surely that would at least lead you to question the possibility that there might be. Could it be that your research, conducted by VN himself, could be wrong? Is there even a slight possibility? After all, VN is not known publicly as someone who admits to mistakes.

#165     Feb 20, 2015
  6. Scaleout.Scalper

Scaleout.Scalper Guest

Cant talk about trends without defining what trend means to you *and* on which chart type and setting, not doing so, opens a world of ambiguity in a profession riddled with it.

How the experienced participants of the thread allow this to continue is simply outstanding.

A big pile of shit of discussion that leads to a waste of time.

#166     Feb 20, 2015
  7. No disrespect meant. I enjoy your postings on here. Sure, not revealing propritary research that contains an actionable edge is a must. But I fail to see how proving a trend exists would be propritary.

As far as VN goes-- i have never seen evidence that what he says regarding stock market trends is not accurate. even you will not demonstrate the opposite claiming its propritary. Regardless of the reasoning why not --- i am open to admit the error in what i have seen over and over. Just show me. Surf

#167     Feb 20, 2015
  8. Visaria

Visaria

scaleout scalper has pretty much summed up how one would begin. Definition is the 1st step.

I leave it now surf, if ok, best of luck.

#168     Feb 20, 2015
  9. In a practical sense, i would define a trend by being able to quantify how many down or up price steps plus whatever will increase the chances that the next step or series of steps will be in the same direction.

That is impossible

therefore the concept of trends is meaningless prior to the entry of the trade. Obviously, once you enter a directional trade, the trend becomes "real" to you and the trade must be managed. surf

Ps an example

6 - 5 minute bars move higher-- the volume is increasing. Does this increase or decrease the odds that the next bar or series be in the same direction? Obviously, there is no way to know. This is why thinking about trends is just dumb and trends only exist in hindsight. Peace

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
    #169     Feb 20, 2015
  10. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

Problem is---Stock indices trend and trend well especially on the higher time frames. If you deny this , then that is your problem. To dispute that trends exist shows the lower level of market understanding that one possesses. Do not trust someone who indicates that stock indices do not trend. That individual is not capable of carrying on meaningful discussions concerning markets and market timing. --No matter how many meet and greets they present at. ----Thank you for your time----

#170     Feb 20, 2015