lowest margin requirements

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by stevenpaul, Apr 23, 2024.

1. Can you recommend a broker with generous margin requirements for ETPs such as the tickers SVIX and SVXY (which often require 100% on long positions due to the risk of sudden and large drops)? I am trading a diversified portfolio which I believe is reasonably well-hedged, and do think some leverage would be beneficial. At Interactive Brokers with portfolio margin, a 100% cash covered position in SVIX is required (although that's occasionally lowered). Are there brokers that will allow leverage on this ticker at 50% or less? I'm not sure how to check the sea of brokers out there.

2. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

For a REG-T Margin account, we are currently at 50% for SVIX and 100% for SVXY. In a PMA, we are currently 53% for SVIX and 78% for SVXY for account under $5mm. In addition to house margin, we have concentration restrictions. The best way to see what we require for risk is to email me directly, provide a sample portfolio (It is best if options do not expire in 2 days-just to give me time to run it). Margin for any symbol can change with market conditions.

stevenpaul likes this.
  3. Is it really allowed here to name brokers? I have been in trouble for doing that in different forums, if that is allowed here, give me more information about what exactly you are looking for, I have traded with different brokers. I think I can help you

4. I was just reading an extensive thread about Tasty Trade and also notice there is a whole forum about IB, so I assume there's no censorship of discussions on brokers. We can chat privately if you prefer.

In short, I use a pairs trading strategies with varying ETPs tracking the Vix futures. Net exposure to the underlying indeces tracked is quite low, say .15 to .25%. Due to the low exposure to the underlying, I believe some leverage is in order, but many brokers may not agree that exposure is as low as I believe it to be. Hence my quest for a broker with low margin requirements on long positions in SVIX. Thank you!

5. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

We offer EZE EMS Pro with their Strategy Server (Pairs Trader). It is a little expensive at $375/Month plus Market Data but is considered a professional level platform used by Hedge Funds and RIAs worldwide. We are one of the few retail brokers that offer it.

stevenpaul likes this.