Low commission for retail traders

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by hurricane_sh, Apr 17, 2016.

1. d08

d08

You need to read what a rebate is. You can also have positive commissions with IB (get paid to put on a trade).

#11     Apr 18, 2016
    endicottsteel and hurricane_sh like this.
  2. Thanks! "Rebate trading" in the article did get my attention, I looked around, but some article suggests that it's no longer relevant. IB seems to require a huge volume to reward rebates.

#12     Apr 18, 2016
  3. rmorse

rmorse Sponsor

It is a tough way to make a living unless your are an automated equity market maker doing large volume. The last time I meet manual traders making money doing this was back during the financial crisis when Citibank was a low priced stock trading a few billion shares a day. There were hundreds of traders trying to make a penny and keep the rebates.

#13     Apr 18, 2016
    hurricane_sh likes this.
  4. Many thanks for the info, then I would stop searching the treasure without regrets. lol
    A billion shares? I read it as "million" the first time and thought it was insane. As a day trader I can only trade 2000 shares at the moment.

#14     Apr 19, 2016
  5. d08

d08

Indeed, I haven't seen positive commissions myself lately but a year or more ago I did. The variations are big though depending on the ECN and whether you're taking or providing liquidity - anything from 0.05 to 2.50 for 200 shares.

#15     Apr 19, 2016
  6. def

def Sponsor

Apples and oranges. There is no free lunch. I would suggest you should research payment for order flow, financing costs and understand all true costs before making the switch.

#16     Apr 19, 2016
  7. No, no plan to make the switch. TWS alone is well worth the commission fee.

#17     Apr 19, 2016
  8. From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robinhood_Markets

" Robinhood is a mobile-first stock brokerage for iPhone,[8] Apple Watch,[9] and Android,[10] allowing customers to buy and sell stocks on U.S. exchanges with zero commissions.

As of May 2015, the firm is the only major brokerage to offer $0 trading commissions for U.S. listed stocks as well as $0 account minimums.[11]"

Probably, they require phone only, so that we need to provide phone's detail.

#18     Apr 23, 2016
  9. rmorse

rmorse Sponsor

Nothing is truly free. They have to make money on something.

#19     Apr 23, 2016
    d08 likes this.
  10. #20     Apr 23, 2016