Looking for an upgrade in your trading rig? This one is OUTSTANDING for the price!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Scataphagos, Apr 15, 2024.

1. https://www.ebay.com/itm/335314823943?itmmeta=01HVHDJKWS74N6S4T8BG7ZBSYQ&itmprp=enc:AQAJAAAA4JtlaKFSieG4u9EmOB1rJTxVRq5LFA4WarHUXZtI4UqGfJu74Zc0DDDv5yTRJmrG+vKLlsYt9x6I3VRcPRA7wJnpmozJ05kwHUMsvERDCFqAljjL5J/bIrleNi7oohXZlvw2TiQX3+kfarRd8+fhUQ7AHG390LpUR47V8hXtXZrNqp4NoeMfOIE9cuuedpI0ZshchdEjleO9t4iFxyNljXzZJ0X9eB6WYf7+viv8nHzPP/V+tnTs15xELm1iW1vURyIfhAdPAQpoLd5zXByDkA7T1UdCB7GSnm+ALfWJ+i6H|tkp:BFBMzL7Krdxj

$231 + $30 ship. This rig was likely at least $1500 when current and new.

You can thank me by donating a bit to a local no-kill animal shelter. If you don't know of one, you can donate to the Max Fund, Denver Colorado. Started by a local veterinarian.... who found an injured puppy on the side of the road and named him "Max". They are swamped and would appreciate all donations. :)

Last edited: Apr 15, 2024
  2. tony.m

tony.m

The problem with these servers is that with TDP of 140 W the mother board it already cooked due to not having enough cooling in the past 6/7 years.

You can't buy new power supply or motherboard for these.

vic38 and jtrader33 like this.
  3. poopy

poopy

poors. lol I only see tony's reply so scat has already blocked me.

Option_Attack, tony.m and MarkBrown like this.
  4. MarkBrown

MarkBrown

same here but i did the blocking lol

Pricechange, tony.m and maxinger like this.
  5. maxinger

maxinger

He is behaving like a trading professional writer
    with substandard hindsight analysis.

Now he is trying to be an expert in h/w.

MarkBrown and tony.m like this.
  6. Tokenz

Tokenz

Jeez, that's gotta be the ugliest desktop computer I have ever seen...

maxinger likes this.
  7. maxinger

maxinger

the http address is the ugliest too.

Tokenz and MarkBrown like this.
  8. 1. Of course you can buy PSUs and mobo for Dell 5820... on eBay
    2. I suspect the TDP isn't an issue for a trading rig as it closer to idle than "full tilt". My 5810s are 8 years old and have same 140W TDP. My fans never run higher than idle speed.

9. I just checked my CPU cores... running 36-38C. That's just barely body temperature, not "cooking".

vic38 likes this.
  10. I know of this computer and video card. I had one. Under the face grille are spiffy rack-mounted drives just like the big-boy servers. Sold mine to buy 4x, Dell 5810s. Why? Because the 5820 virtually forces you to use UEFI operating system for the mobo... greater security they say. I asked Dell Tech Support whether drives from one could be swapped to another computer on UEFI... they said, "we're not sure".

Being able to swap drives between computers has been an important part of my backup protocol. (I have not only cloned drive backups, but also "images" of my drives... plus a backup computer, "just in case".) The 5810s still have BIOS firmware and are accommodative to swapping drives.

But if you're running "only one" computer for your trading rig and have no need to swap drives between computers... you won't know the difference between BIOS and UEFI.

If I were looking for an upgrade and running only one computer for my trading rig and wanting to run up to 8x* monitors at 4k res, I would definitely buy this one!!

* 2x, quad-port video cards required of course for >4

FWIW...

Last edited: Apr 16, 2024
    #10     Apr 16, 2024