Living Frugally to Retire By 40? Mental Illness or Smart ?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by marketsurfer, Mar 27, 2015.

1. Ditch

Ditch

Last week I heard this story from a relative. A normal guy in Florida, 53 years old, is making $75000 a year as a nurse, but still can't get past the first date with women. As soon they learn he's not a doctor or a physician they lose interest. This doesn't bode too well for the changes on the meat market of the frugal retiree. Something to consider as well.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
    #71     Mar 28, 2015
  2. luisHK

luisHK

seekingarrangement.com
    Discovered that website on this forum a couple of years ago. Awesome source of ladies - mostly in the industrialized world - but especially if a 53 y o is into younger ladies, he'd better come up with more than a nurse position and income.
    But if he's into 40 y o ladies, I suspect many of them can't be too picky.

#72     Mar 28, 2015
  3. Ditch

Ditch

Yeah, you would expect that from 40+ ladies, but that's not how it works, with increasing age they become exponentially critical, even if they have nothing to show for themselves. The importance of having a loving partner might seem trivial when you're 25, but at higher age it has a significant effect on one's health and life expectation. If $75k isn't enough to get some interest, how is the retiree going to fare with his peanutbuttersandwich-lifestyle? Kinda winner take all situation. The 1mil+ guys get to choose from the whole pool starting at age 18.

#73     Mar 28, 2015
  4. luisHK

luisHK

He'd better settle early with a peanut butter loving wife I guess and not expect too many extras.
    But I agree with most (possibly all, don't remember everything that was written) of the points you made in this thread, and apparently have read the same studies you have read.

#74     Mar 28, 2015
  5. Ditch

Ditch

A partner for life is becoming a rare thing, but you never know, he could find a soulmate early on. She sure won't leave him for lack of money.

#75     Mar 28, 2015
  6. You're right, but given that my wife and I both play violin, I can tell you that time spent isn't enough. Her talent allows her to accomplish in an hour what takes me 5 hours. Or is it talent? Was it a training that she acquired at a young age that taught her how to benefit more for a unit of practice time? Was it that she started playing at 5, and I didn't get started until 13?

It's more complicated than just time, however time is indeed a relevant issue.

#76     Mar 28, 2015
  7. Ditch

Ditch

Hopefully you can resist the temptation to smack her over the head when she does that. Seriously, the saying goes practice makes perfect but I concur that it's a complex function of practice time and talent, ie. Mats Wilander started playing tennis at age 13. Fours years later he won Roland Garros. A typical case of sheer godgiven talent.

#77     Mar 28, 2015
  8. I have a relative who built a small fortune in real estate rental (slum lord) and 1980 style mutual funds -- He lived to work and make money but lived like a pauper. Wanted nothing but to accumulate wealth.

He died. Now his family is fighting over the willl. Its a terrible situation and that's what can happen with hoarded money--- its just stupid. All it takes is one desperate and or greedy relative to misappropriate the funds anyway-- or st the least lawyer fees. What a waste!

#78     Mar 28, 2015
  9. It takes more than money. I know a guy who made $5 million very quickly but lives frugally-- the same as without the windfall. He never gets past a few dates either.

#79     Mar 28, 2015
  10. She also has a very strong martial arts background. Smacking her over the head isn't going to get me very far. :) :)

It's ok. I'm good with money. Ha ha!

#80     Mar 28, 2015