Live Cattle - Top ?

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by syswizard, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Jim Cramer got crazy tonight about the crash in Pork Bellies and said Cattle was now weak. He was all dressed up as a butcher....it was hilarious. Chicken was mentioned as a low price alternative.
    Even on Fast Money, the lower cost of feed prices was mentioned as driving profitability in cattle raising....

#61     Aug 13, 2014
  2. stoic

stoic

pork bellies delisted Jul 18 2011

#62     Aug 13, 2014
  3. Duh....my bad....meant Lean Hogs.

#63     Aug 13, 2014
  4. stoic

stoic

Exports to Russia account for only 2.18% of all exports.

#64     Aug 14, 2014
  5. What's interesting about this thread is that there are those who flood the forums claiming that T/A or Price Action is BS but you've seen us in this thread call where this market was likely to go. We had different opinions as to how and when it would happen but ultimately, we were accurate...as we used T/A to reach that conclusion.

#65     Aug 14, 2014
  6. Exports to Russia account for only 2.18% of all exports.

Understanding this, it seemed like the cattle market needed some sort of an event to change the trend. The Putin sanctions appear to be that event. We've had a fairly substantial retracement at this point. The feeder cattle seem to be hanging in there better than the live cattle. The fundamentals do appear to point to a continuing lack of cattle though.

#66     Aug 14, 2014
  7. Exactly....shorting now is much riskier than 15 points ago. We are due for a bounce.

#67     Aug 14, 2014
  8. Maverick74

Maverick74

I disagree. I actually think for the first time, this market looks shortable. I don't track this market so I have no conviction on the call, but from a distance, it looks good here. If it does bounce, I would NOT short it and would change my view back to neutral.

#68     Aug 14, 2014
  9. If Live Cattle is a short at this point, I wouldn't be surprised to see it fall back to that 138-140 area.

#69     Aug 15, 2014
  10. Gentlemen - this is what makes a market....diverse opinions....and commitment to a position.

#70     Aug 15, 2014