Lesbian Houston Mayor Goes After Churches

Discussion in 'Politics' started by AAAintheBeltway, Oct 15, 2014.

1. gwb-trading

gwb-trading

The rabbi is Jewish. It is a synagogue, not a church.

#31     Oct 15, 2014
  2. gwb-trading

gwb-trading

Pastors to mayor: Don’t mess with Texas pulpits
    http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2014/10/15/pastors-to-mayor-dont-mess-with-texas-pulpits/

Christians across the nation are mobilizing to defend a group of Houston pastors who were ordered by the city to turn over any sermons dealing with homosexuality, gender identity issues or Houston mayor. Their message is simple – Don’t Mess with Texas Preachers.

Dave Welch, the executive director of the Texas Pastor Council, is one of the five ministers who received a subpoena. He said he will not be intimidated by Annise Parker, who is the city's first openly lesbian mayor, nor will he comply with the city’s demands.

“My answer to that is – bring it on,” he said.

Ultimately, this is not about gays or lesbians or a Bathroom Bill. This is about the U.S. Constitution. This is about religious liberty.

(More at above url)

#32     Oct 15, 2014
  3. %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Good question GW;
    with all due respect, maybe she is a serial liar like Chicago crooks????? I wonder why, since she is co curious about the sermons, why not attend church like so many do in the south,south CA,+ west, + heartland USA.
    TN recently sent home a teen boy from school; he was wearing girl clothes.

JPFO[Jews For Possession of Firearms ownership] let a lesbian in , but she was well behaved.The micromanage mayor of Houston, should be fired like Eric Holder, ACLJ Chief counsel says.As they say in Chicago, vote early vote often..........................................................................................Good comment; amen and amen.

#33     Oct 16, 2014
  4. DHOHHI

DHOHHI

#34     Oct 16, 2014
  5. JamesL

JamesL

Houston Backtracks on Church Subpoenas

Houston Mayor Annise Parker is doing damage control after national media picked up on her subpoenas targeting local clergy who protested her equal rights ordinance.

The mayor says the subpoenas were too broad, and should not have included actual sermons.

"It’s not about what did you preach on last Sunday," Parker told reporters Wednesday. "It should have been clarified, it will be clarified."

The Alliance Defending Freedom filed a motion to stop the subpoenas earlier this week.

City Attorney David Feldman says he didn't review the subpoenas before they were issued.

"When I looked at it I felt it was overly broad, I would not have worded it that way myself," he said. "It's unfortunate that it has been construed as some effort to infringe upon religious liberty."

The city promises to narrow the language of the subpoenas.

Read more: http://www.ktrh.com/articles/housto...ks-on-church-subpoenas-12867545#ixzz3GJyOWliA

#35     Oct 16, 2014
  6. stu

stu

"Ultimately, this is not about gays or lesbians or a Bathroom Bill. This is about the U.S. Constitution. This is about religious liberty "

..... This is about a specific religious group's opposition to anti-discrimination law.

#36     Oct 16, 2014
  7. gwb-trading

gwb-trading

Did you ever take a look at the "anti-discrimination" law passed in Houston - it is very discriminatory. I expect this absurd law that allows men to use the women's restroom will not hold up under constitutional review in the courts. This law is about the far left pushing an extreme agenda, not about protecting citizens' basic rights against discrimination.

#37     Oct 16, 2014

8. So what if it is? That doesn't give the city the right to attack them or harrass them with subpoenas, lawsuits etc.

#38     Oct 16, 2014
  9. City Attorney:

"It's unfortunate that it has been construed as some effort to infringe upon religious liberty."

What other possible interpretation could it have had? That was precisely the intention. This is as credible as the IRS claiming they didn;t target conservative groups.

#39     Oct 16, 2014
  10. Ricter

Ricter

Or the claim that the IRS targeted only conservative groups. : )

#40     Oct 16, 2014