Its impossible to be profitable in trading as a retail trader

Discussion in 'Trading' started by quant983, Apr 21, 2016.

1. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

Although you're most likely a one post wonder...

There's a strong possibility your self taught was wrong considering you mention nothing about backtesting, nothing about simulator testing and nothing about trading with someone in person so that the person can give you an unbias opinion about your trading habits and the environment you're trading in at home...assuming you're a retail trader.

You'll be surprise about how many people do poor preparation before trading because they didn't do any of the above.

Its one of the main reasons why I believe we as retail traders need to pass some kind'uv a trading exam prior to opening a trading account just like professional traders are require to have the proper license (pass the series) prior to being hired by a financial institution just like a lawyer is required to pass the "bar exam" prior to being allowed to practice law.

I say the above because a 90% failure rate is just too high in my opinion. The above recommendation help eliminate those not suitable for trading prior to them putting on a single trade and it'll encourage those that want to be a trader to be "more" prepared because the markets are tough and it does an excellent job in weeding out the weak traders...traders that don't know what they are doing while thinking they only needed to read books.

Simply, if your learning involved only reading books or forum messages...odds are very high you're going to be one of those 90% that failed...you did exactly such. I'm not saying don't read books. In contrast, I'm saying you must not make your learning as self taught be through books only without the proper support system that any other professional has.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
    #21     Apr 22, 2016
    slugar and Xela like this.
  2. maler

maler

The irony is that to win as a retail trader you need to be better than the majority of professionals.

#22     Apr 22, 2016
  3. Xela

Xela

Possibly, but that's currently unproven, either way.

Given the overall success-rates in retail trading, whoever's figures you believe, there are always - realistically - going to be plenty of people who have "tried everything, without anything working" for them, aren't there? It's the "for them" part that's the significant component, in this context, I suppose.

#23     Apr 22, 2016
    greenred1, VPhantom and dartmus like this.
  4. I partially agree. Regular people with their desktop computer can't be profitable. However hedge funds with High Frequency Trading and their supercomputer capable of split second trades with almost no spread are definitely making billions out of it.

#24     Apr 22, 2016
  5. speedo

speedo

Surf, you've already convinced us you can't trade.....move on dude.

#25     Apr 22, 2016
    CBC, VPhantom, Visaria and 6 others like this.
  6. Who the hell knows? I had a thought maybe I am just in my own little imaginary world where I can do whatever I want... pls don't tell me I am not!

#26     Apr 22, 2016
    trading_time likes this.
  7. fhl

fhl

[​IMG]

#27     Apr 22, 2016
    artes33 likes this.
  8. kut2k2

kut2k2

Prostitutes are not traders in any sense. Prostitutes are workers who perform a service for money. Traders risk their own money with the hope but no guarantee of gaining more. Totally different jobs.

#28     Apr 22, 2016
  9. speedo

speedo

It probably seems impossible to those who have been unsuccessful at it. And there are those among them who insist that no one else can....sad really.

#29     Apr 22, 2016
  10. There are similarities and differences, as a prostitute u take a risk that your not going to be killed or get an STI and risk the guy just screwing u and not giving u the $, IE no guarantee of gaining more.

Everyone is a trader...

#30     Apr 22, 2016