Is Donald Trump an American fascist?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Frederick Foresight, Nov 30, 2015.

1. Okay, it looks like I'm mistaken.

Yes, stuff happens when crowds gather. But both Trump, a presidential hopeful, and his senior counsel, were okay with it. They essentially supported the beating.

Trump, who believes in roughing up dissenters, wants to be your president. Did I get the semantics wrong there, too?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
    #11     Nov 30, 2015
  2. Apart from his divisiveness and fear-mongering, you could successfully argue that Trump is content-free.

#12     Nov 30, 2015
  3. It's not surprising that the left thinks Trump is a fascist. Anyone who asks questions or disagrees with leftist ideology is automatically labeled a fascist. Trump is reckless with his attitude and demeanor, doesn't give two shits what anyone thinks, but he's no fascist. He's just an asshole.

#13     Nov 30, 2015
  4. As I noted in the opening post, the article was written by Michael R. Marrus, who is the Chancellor Rose and Ray Wolfe Professor Emeritus of Holocaust Studies at the University of Toronto, whose latest book, Lessons of the Holocaust, will appear in a few weeks. I suspect that he knows a bit more about fascism than you and I do.

#14     Nov 30, 2015
  5. Fascist is one of those labels thrown around much too freely, like racist or hero. Trump is a lot of things, mostly negative, but he's no fascist. I know that drawing false equivalencies is a favorite pass time of the left, but your time would be better spent scrutinizing Hillary and her power mad history.

#15     Nov 30, 2015
    AAAintheBeltway likes this.
  6. I think that when an expert on the holocaust talks about fascism, it pays to listen.

#16     Nov 30, 2015
  7. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

The real question of whether or not you would say that would be when the same expert goes after someone on the left, or whether is just pays to listen when they are attacking someone on the right.

#17     Nov 30, 2015
  8. Whether I like what he has to say or not, it's hard to dispute his credentials. I just don't happen to disagree at this point.

#18     Nov 30, 2015
    Ricter likes this.
  9. My dtv just started offering Newsmax which is mostly a right wing news channel in the basic package. anyway, they have a lot of great WWII documentaries, especially about the rise of Hitler and the Nazi Party. The atmosphere around Trump is eerily similar to the situation in 1930's Germany in that most of the nations problems are other peoples fault and we will make our nation great again.

#19     Nov 30, 2015
  10. ipatent

ipatent

Fascism means close cooperation between the private sector and the government, which has been increasing under both parties for a long time.

#20     Nov 30, 2015
    piezoe likes this.