Investors Business Daily necessary?

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by marko1045, Apr 20, 2014.

1. You are obviously promoting IBD.

Anyway.

Pfffff..... Like if trading has to be complicated to be profitable.

You can make money with a simple moving average, assuming you have discipline and can manage risk, no need to export and manipulate excel files from some newspaper.

#21     Apr 21, 2014
  2. @Maverick74 This is what I am currently trying to figure out. I do see it being worth money to calculate the data on such a large scale. I just question how much is it worth? It seems like it is not to difficult of a process to acquire fairly static pieces of data and quantify a value off of it. Maybe no other site offers these metrics and I should just bite the bullet?

On a side note, I can assure you their paper has said nothing about Z or MXWL(nowhere to be seen on their IBD 50) and I managed to find both before they popped big time today :) . Further confirming that the paper is nothing more than just entertainment.

So unless someone has a recommendation on some alternative website or service(even paid) I think I am just going to keep paying the $32/mo.

I wish there was a way to get access to the data and not pay for the paper. I will send them an email and ask.

#22     Apr 21, 2014
  3. Maverick74

Maverick74

Alright, we are not on the same wavelength here. You are talking about looking for "stock picks" and I'm referring to hard core data analysis. I think we are having two different conversations here and that's fine. And btw, if you are trying to go down that road of stock picking, IBD had Z when it was a no name $25 stock. You are a little late to the party there. The key is to find these stocks "before" everyone else does. I guess if you are looking for just stock picking, IBD or any other of 100 different sites can offer that. I was referring to data crunching of a different kind. I guess the fact that you have no idea what I'm talking about is a good thing. LOL. That is usually where the money is. :)

#23     Apr 21, 2014
  4. Yeah right, I bet you cannot even beat the S&P 500 :D

#24     Apr 21, 2014
  5. Maverick74

Maverick74

I hope that is actually not your goal. LOL. This website is called "Elite Trader" not "Elite Investor".

#25     Apr 22, 2014
  6. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

I have to go with Maverick here. You seem not to have a clear notion of what it is you want. You say you're interested in investing, not daytrading, yet you get all excited about the "pops" in Z and MXWL, ignoring the fact that the CS ratings also include EPS growth, etc, not just relative strength. You and xelite also seem puzzled by the fact that a stock that shows a higher relative strength -- i.e., has already moved -- gets a higher score than one that hasn't. You find the rating system "useful" even though you also find it to be "overly simplistic" and "feel it could be easily replicated", to which the expected response would be "go ahead".

If you don't have the time or the inclination to maintain a watchlist and buy these stocks at the right time, then you'd most likely be better off subscribing to some sort of alert service that will notify you the day before of all the stocks that will "pop" the next day. Though I suspect you'd have to pay more than $32/mo.

#26     Apr 22, 2014
  7. I am puzzled by nothing Dbphoenix, I have my own profitable and purely mechanical trading system and could not care less about IBD or some other newspaper.

#27     Apr 22, 2014
  8. Try just to break even with your "system" and your oh-so-secret "quant" analysis and then we will talk some more.

#28     Apr 22, 2014
  9. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

Given the number of posts you've made to this thread, that would appear not to be the case. Nonetheless, Maverick has been trying -- apparently unsuccessfully -- to make a distinction between the newspaper and the data it provides. I hope the OP eventually finds whatever it is he's looking for.

#29     Apr 22, 2014
  10. Actually they did not, as a subscriber I checked their old papers from that time period when Z was hovering in the $25 range it was not so....sorry I cannot agree with you on that. The point I was trying to make about that is I am successfully picking stocks that are not on the IBD 50 like Z in the 86's and MXWL at 14.30. Second, I have my own way of analyzing using a form of statistical arbitrage and layering it in as part of my CANSLIM analysis. A very time consuming analysis that helps me identify strong growth, high momentum stocks before the rest of the institutions go bananas on them. So please don't try and belittle me as rookie.

I am pretty sure this thread went in such a far direction from where it started. Why? I have no idea. It just turned into a circle jerking contest instead of one of ideas. Why would you even bring up that "i have no idea what I'm talking about"? In truth does it matter? Look at the original question I first asked and you will see you are so far off the mark of this thread, as is everyone else.

I will not be replying to anyone unless it has to do with my first post. Sorry for being a dick.

#30     Apr 22, 2014