Interviews With Top ET Traders

Discussion in 'Trading' started by JTrades, Sep 22, 2014.

1. JTrades

JTrades

Your spouse (wife?) put up with you learning to trade for 5 years? Did she doubt you at any point during that period?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
    #61     Oct 2, 2014
  2. Thought I would keep this thread alive by posting this old interview I did with my friend and business mentor James Altucher. Many of you may know him by his blog and he use to post on elite quite often until driven away by the a$$clowns and malcontents.

His experiences he outline on his blog read like fiction, but having worked with him a deal or two, and knowing him long before he became famous, I assure you everything he says is 100% accurate. Lot's to learn here-- ENJOY!!

Dave: I see you did not come
    from a trading background, but rather from high tech. Do you believe this
    enabled you to gain an edge on the traditional trader?

James: In the mid 90s I started a web
    services firm called Reset which made websites for mostly entertainment
    companies. We made websites for, among others, Warner Brothers, Sony, HBO, New
    Line Cinema, Bad Boy Records, Interscope Records, and others. Before that, I
    went to both undergrad and grad school in Computer Science and also spent some
    time working at HBO.

The tech background helped when developing the
    software to model different market conditions quickly. Any situation or idea I
    had to model was easy to prototype with software. None of this stuff is rocket
    science and even a slight background in software is enough to help one model
    almost any situation.

The business background is more important. When
    starting a business, as with trading, you have to deal with pain, stress, and
    failure, in a variety of unpredictable situations. A friend once told me the
    quote, "if you only make 51% correct decisions when starting a business then you
    will be wildly successful." The same holds true for trading.

Dave: OK, so your computer
    background led you to develop data models for the markets. These models enabled
    you to properly test multiple assumptions and beliefs about trading. What was
    the most surprising thing you found out from this testing?

James: I went through a phase where my
    eyes were filled with dollar signs like in a comic book. The first system I ever
    played with was Larry Williams’ OOPS system. At first it seemed like a money
    machine to me. But then reality hits and although the OOPS system (buying gap
    downs on assets when they breach the prior day low to the upside) is a great
    system, it's better as a starting point for exploring your own ideas. I guess
    the main idea I found is that countertrend trading is a lot better than going
    with the trend. Philosophically, "the trend is your friend" is very pleasing
    almost from a Zen perspective but doesn't really work well in practice. That
    said, I always find myself feeling oddly relaxed when reading interviews with
    trend-followers like in the Covel book. But perhaps that's the problem with it.

Dave: Are there any
    technical indicators that stood up to your rigorous testing, and if so, what are
    they?

James: The problem with any technical
    indicator is that they are all nice little packages that look very simple on the
    outside but when you dig deeper you find that they are made up a lot of
    assumptions and parameters that lead to the curve-fitting accusations. In
    general, all back testing is curve fitting but anything you can do to avoid this
    (i.e. don't use technical indicators) helps deal with this.

Dave: What I found most
    interesting from your research is the fact that there is very little predictive
    qualities in candlestick patterns. This flies in the face of conventional
    trading wisdom. They simply do not work anymore. What do you attribute this to?

James: Too much money thrown into trading
    the markets. There are about 10,000 smart people at least (most likely much
    more) testing and trading for themselves, for hedge funds, for prop firms, for
    mutual funds, for market makers, etc). The basics are done.

Dave: What software do you
    use for testing market assumptions?

James: Wealth-Lab

Dave: How difficult is it
    to write the code for Wealth Lab. Is it something a non-programmer trader can
    do?

James: When I was in 6th grade I once
    answered a question the teacher posed by starting off saying "that's easy" and
    she slapped me right in the face and called on someone else to answer. She said,
    "Never say that." That said, "it’s easy." A lot of people shy away from WL
    because they use a Pascal-like language to build their chart scripts. However,
    the language they use wouldn't even qualify to be a prequel to Computer Science
    101 in high school. Its easy to learn, particularly when modifying any of the
    thousands of chart scripts posted to their site. I have no financial
    relationship with their company although I'm kicking myself for not trying
    harder to invest my wife's hard-earned money in their company before they were
    bought by Fidelity.

Dave: Ok, lets jump into
    the meat of this interview. In your book, Trade Like A Hedge Fund, you go
    over 20 primary hedge fund trading strategies. I am going to focus on 4 of these
    strategies that I found most fascinating. The first one, Buying Bankruptcies,
    really opened my eyes to the potential in this method. Please tell our members
    about this strategy and why it works.

James: Typically, when a company declares
    bankruptcy, the stock is halted by the exchanges so the company has time to
    disseminate the news of their downfall. Note that it's NEVER a surprise when a
    company declares bankruptcy. It’s not like Worldcom was a $50 stock and then
    they whipped out a Chapter 11 filing while everyone was asleep. By that point
    Worldcom was the subject of dozens of lawsuits, headlines every day about
    corruption, all executives being fired, and the debt was trading for pennies on
    the dollar. The stock itself was around 10 cents on bankruptcy day.

Everyone who was going to bet on this bankruptcy
    was already short the stock. Not only were they short, but probably almost every
    executive was short the stock in order to hedge their worthless shares. And
    everyone who was long the stock as an investment had already most likely sold
    the stock by this point. Certainly all mutual funds were out of it by this time
    (they never hold a 10 cent stock).

So what happens, when a stock declares
    bankruptcy, it's halted, and then the halt is lifted later that day. Well,
    nobody is selling (because they all already sold) and everyone is covering their
    shorts (the worst has already happened and it’s not going to get any worse). So
    these stocks tend to double or triple in value within 2-3 days, as happened in
    the case of Worldcom, Enron, FAO Schwartz, and countless other mega-cap
    bankruptcies.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2014
    #62     Oct 8, 2014
  3. Dave: Along the same
    lines, you also suggest trading stocks that are going to be deleted from the
    indexes. Most people trade stocks that are being added to the index, as do the
    index funds. This deletion concept seems odd to me. How do you play deletions
    from the indexes?

James: We buy the day the stock is
    deleted, right (we hope) when all the irrational selling pressure being placed
    on the stock by index funds selling, is over. The same concepts apply as in the
    bankruptcy system.

Dave: The 200-day moving average is one of the most
    talked about and utilized technical indicator. Does the 200-day MA work in the
    traditional manner and what is the best way to use the 200-day MA?

James: So many media pundits use the
    200-day MA to make a meaningless point to fill up airtime that its lost all
    value as a technical indicator.

Dave: What can you tell
    our members about trading gaps ? Does the traditional wisdom that gaps fill
    stand up to testing?

James: Gaps are the physical
    representation in the markets of the concepts of "fear" and "greed". When there
    is fear, a stock gaps down. When there is greed, a stock gaps up. Most books
    talk about exhaustion gaps, continuation gaps, etc without ever demonstrating
    how to determine which gaps are which. Testing is the way to determine this and
    take advantage of the fear and greed associated with these moves. Normally I
    only like to trade gap downs. Gap ups tend to keep going. And who am I to get in
    the way of people's passion?

Dave: Interesting, so
    going short is not the opposite of going long. Can you elaborate on this
    concept?

James: Let’s look at the basic facts.
    Short selling doesn't even work in a bear market. If you look over the past 15
    years, almost any time the Nasdaq 100 index moved up over 4% or more in a day
    occurred during the bear market years of 2000-2002.

Another example is to look at the CSFB Dedicated
    Short Bias index made up of hedge funds that only short stocks. As a group they
    had a negative return in 2001. So the best short sellers ever, guys who spend 25
    hours a day trying to short stocks and make people's lives miserable, had a
    negative return in one of the worst bear market years ever. They stink.

Dave: The extreme
    convertible arbitrage certainly has the sexiest name. What is ECA and how can a
    trader utilize this complex sounding technique?

James: I love this strategy personally and
    it works great in bear market years such as 2002. It combines the concepts of
    mean reversion with ideas in convert arbitrage. The basic idea is that you find
    a stock that has been tanking (for instance, all the energy stocks in 2002) and
    you go long the preferred of that stock (if it exists) and short the stock. For
    instance, AES-C, the preferred of AES, was offering a 20% yield while AES was
    diving on fears of bankruptcy. A deeper dive on the stock showed that all of
    AES's operations in other countries has debt that was non-recourse to the parent
    company, meaning that the preferred wouldn't be effected and AES was most likely
    safe from bankruptcy, securing the 20% yield. That said, if AES went bankrupt
    then the stock would continue to plummet, making the short work out. The key is
    determining the proper ratio between the preferred and the common and for that
    you need a combination of backtesting and an understanding of the fundamentals.

Dave: Are there any final
    words you would like to leave us with?

James: Trading is the most miserable thing
    you can ever do with your life. Give it up now.

Dave: Wow, this has really
    been an insightful discussion. Thank you for joining us !

James: Dave, good luck with your venture
    and thanks for letting me do this.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2014
    #63     Oct 8, 2014
  4. JTrades

JTrades

More accurate might be:

Trading is the most miserable thing he ever did with his life.

I'm pretty sure there are traders who enjoy what they do.

#64     Oct 10, 2014

5. very true. JA hates the markets now. But he still was a brilliant trader and researcher.

#65     Oct 10, 2014
  6. JTrades

JTrades

pttayatrader, are you still with us?

#66     Oct 12, 2014
  7. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

Fake and meaningless interviews---Love it!

#67     Jan 19, 2015
  8. JTrades

JTrades

Let's make this count...

So, how did you first get interested in trading?

#68     Jan 19, 2015