If you could have just one indicator, which would it be?

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by JTrades, Sep 20, 2014.

1. kut2k2

kut2k2

True but the kid's point is that it's hard to wrap that up in an indicator. My point is that it's not necessary and may be a distraction.

#51     Jan 8, 2015
  2. londonkid

londonkid

I would classify what you have written as a microstructure explanation of the 'how'.

#52     Jan 8, 2015
  3. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

That depends. Many traders use indicators because they can't tell up from down. However, those who want to automate their strategies have no other choice.

#53     Jan 8, 2015
  4. londonkid

londonkid

I agree it is not necessary but any level of understanding into the 'why' is superior to the 'how' imo. A good counter argument could be made to say that studying the how is more of a distraction than the 'why'.

#54     Jan 8, 2015
  5. Johno1

Johno1

My real time P&L, apart from that naked price action. I couldn't care less why, but generally, I usually find out the why after the major moves as does everyone else when it is of no use to us.
    Cheers John

#55     Jan 18, 2015
  6. Xela

Xela

If I had to choose one specific indicator, to the exclusion of all others, I'd probably take the Kijun Sen line from the Ichimoku Kinko Hyo set of indicators, because I've found it of helpful and practicable use in deciding when to close trend-following trades, and it's derived from objective highs and lows rather than from interpretative opens and closes, which I prefer in principle (and the Kumo indicator would probably be my second choice, because I've often found that a convenient and relatively reliable way of projecting forward a display of recent zones of support and resistance).

#56     Nov 23, 2015