If you could have just one indicator, which would it be?

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by JTrades, Sep 20, 2014.

1. PRICE DRIVERS!!!!! -- (As a contrary indicator)

#21     Oct 1, 2014
  2. moonmist

moonmist

I like to to look for:

a) trending-following setups, when price pulls back to an EMA.
    b) counter-trend setups, when price is over-extended, and near the boundary of a Bollinger Band.

Hence, my favorite indicators are EMA and Bollinger Band. It is my understanding that trend-following setups are usually more forgiving. If I really need to pick one, EMA would be my choice.

Just my two cents.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
    #22     Oct 4, 2014
    JTrades likes this.
  3. bone

bone

IMHO, almost any technical indicator can be made at least marginally effective with a really good rule set which addresses entry confirmation, profit targets, and stop- loss levels. My view us that some indicators work better ( and intuitively make more sense of and explain the structure of price action ) better for certain trades and markets than others. And it is a highly personal and preferential choice.

Point being, just choosing a singular technical indicator does not make a trade work. The bigger component might just be the rules you put in place to make that indicator work in the market on a consistent basis. After you do that, then you have to figure out what tweaks you have to make over the long haul to keep your edge.

Simple question, my answer at least is " may not matter as much as you think". Depends on how you use it.

#23     Oct 5, 2014
    birdman, traderob and JTrades like this.
  4. Trend Reversal and Exhaustion indicator (aka TD sequential)

#24     Oct 6, 2014
  5. As was mentioned before it depends on time frame. Would be looking for an indicator that would cover price and volatility at the same time like (Relative Momentum Index) - by scan results it holds the first place on daily charts (1 day = 1 bar) at
    http://www.marketvolume.com/technicalanalysis/rating.asp

#25     Oct 15, 2014
  6. %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
    Repeating patterns can be helpful;
    not a prediction, simply probabilities.
    ==================================================================================

#26     Nov 3, 2014
    JTrades likes this.
  7. nanama

nanama

Great Thread

#27     Nov 3, 2014

8. PRICE

Indicators = sisters, brothers, Ma, Pa, friends, associates, gardener, cook, butler = thousands = not necessary

Eyes = Price ... reveals all without middlemen

#28     Nov 4, 2014
  9. kut2k2

kut2k2

BTI

#29     Nov 12, 2014
  10. xioxxio

xioxxio

Jack how are you feeling these days? Hopefully not too much pain. I wish you well.

I am interested to know the rational behind the 30min. Why not the 15m, or another other multiple of 5.

PS- I am interested to see a log, if you be so kind.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
    #30     Nov 12, 2014